As a country we are now more divided than ever. The left and the right are stubborn and will not budge in their ideals. There is no seeking for a middle ground. Polls, like the ones found here https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html will reflect this great divide. There will always be opposing viewpoints in politics, but now more than ever these oppositions getting in the way of governmental progress.

A remedy to this issue is simply listening. Nobody is taking the time to see an opponent as a person, and nobody is trying to view opposite opinions as valid. I am liberal, and I have very strong beliefs. This doesn’t mean that I cannot hear out someone who maybe pro life, or a Trump supporter. In fact, it is in the situation of these divided opinions that it is necessary that we listen to one another because there is no way that one side is all right and one side is all wrong. 

At this site https://www.npr.org/2017/08/14/543259485 a man is quoted saying, “He called for unity. I never saw Obama call for unity.” when explaining why he supported Trump. It would be easy to get angry at a quote like this, but try and take a moment to actually listen. This opinion is valid. And it goes both ways. When someone says to ban guns it is easy to call them stupid, and say they are just uninformed. This is also not helpful. It is more helpful to ask why someone feels the way they do and tell them you respectfully disagree. That is the only way we will come together as a nation.

Cooper
December 2, 2019 2:45 am

I think this article addresses one of the biggest problems in the United States today. Several Americans are clinging to one side and will refuse to accept what the other side wants to say. Intellectual discussions involving people with all points of view working out their differences are necessary to build a better America.

As a country we are now more divided than ever. The left and the right are stubborn and will not budge in their ideals. There is no seeking for a middle ground. Polls, like the ones found here https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html will reflect this great divide. There will always be opposing viewpoints in politics, but now more than ever these oppositions getting in the way of governmental progress. A remedy to this issue is simply listening. Nobody is taking the time to see an opponent as a person, and nobody is trying to view opposite opinions as valid. I am liberal, and I have very strong beliefs. This doesn’t mean that I cannot hear out someone who maybe pro life, or a Trump supporter. In fact, it is in the situation of these divided opinions that it is necessary that we listen to one another because there is no way that one side is all right and one side is all wrong. At this site https://www.npr.org/2017/08/14/543259485 a man is quoted saying, “He called for unity. I never saw Obama call for unity.” when explaining why he supported Trump. It would be easy to get angry at a quote like this, but try and take a moment to actually listen. This opinion is valid. And it goes both ways. When someone says to ban guns it is easy to call them stupid, and say they are just uninformed. This is also not helpful. It is more helpful to ask why someone feels the way they do and tell them you respectfully disagree. That is the only way we will come together as a nation.

1
0
()