group of fresh graduates students throwing their academic hat in the air

Staying in state for college is something that a lot of kids don’t want to do. Some people want to stay because of the comfort they receive from knowing their way around town, but others want to get that experience of leaving their home and living completely on their own. One of the things that often stop kids from leaving the state for college is tuition. Out of state tuition is extremely expensive unless you can get a large scholarship. In State Tuition is often a lot cheaper. According to College Express, “Out-of-state students pay more simply because they do not pay taxes to the state in which the university is located.” (This only applies to public universities). To receive in-state tuition, you have to have a driver’s license from that state, in state employment, car registration, etc.

If the child decides they have enough funds to go out of state, they will most likely do it. “Some yearn for independence”, however in the NY Times article I explored, a lot of kids in Utah actually happen to stay in Utah. Only 636 residents leave Utah and most of those students end up going to North Carolina. Utah does receive a lot of students as well from California and other states. I think it would be interesting to see how these statistics have changed with the Corona Virus because I know that a lot of high school graduates last year went in state due to quarantine and schools not opening. 

Being a student of the class of 2021 is very interesting. A lot of our application processes are different and I know that a lot of people don’t know if they will end up going to the college they have dreamt of going to for years. Many students will probably go to the University of Utah or SLCC just because they will receive in state tuition. This is sad for the students who have worked so hard and won’t be able to attend their dream school, but we have to remember that you can still explore other states for grad school. Statistically in the future, I think most students will go in-state for their undergraduate degree and then leave and explore for grad school.

1. Matylda 2 months ago

Emery, this post is very interesting. I have definitely been noticing similar patterns and am also a little worried about how things will be for our class with COVID. I think out of state tuition is particularly hard for people to pay during these times. I also think a lot of people are having a hard time justifying paying that much just for online school.

2. Emme 3 months ago

Traditionally, students embrace an in-state school mostly for the lower in-state tuition option, among others. However, in our pandemic-filled world, in-state schools may be the safer option because of the proximity to home if a student were to be quarantined or sent home for coronavirus reasons. It is a sad fact, because the college experience is skewed due to current conditions.