child playing game on white ipad

What is coding ? People usually say that Coding is a skill where you take instructions (the steps in a task) and translate it into a language the computer understands since computers do not communicate like humans. , but I believe coding is a creative way of using computer keys and commands in a creative manner to create simplified and engaging programs to better explain  situation or make challenging phenomenon easy to visualize? Does this mean that  coding is for only people who are computer geeks or people who are interested in stem and computer science or technology? no!

When coding is mentioned  ,people tend to think of geeks and it specialist but in taking this course i have come to the realization that coding is for everyone and can be use d in a creative and fun manner .but how can we make coding to appear easy and interesting to people other than those in the technological field? how can e male it easy for them to understand the directives and instruction as well as the concepts and also let them see the feasibility of using coding in a creative ,computational ,and a problem solving tool or asset. people might how can we do this ? This makes me think that using Resnick’s 4 p of project peers passion and play  to enable people see the simplicity as well as encourage them to use coding(scratch ) as a computational tool.

how can we make coding relevant in early childhood education? we can use the same approach of the 4 p but in this considering the age of kids in the early child hood setting make the project more fun game but educational at the same time From this, I also believe that we can use coding to teach children who are fluent in languages other than English using the coding system or picture language coordination so they can have fun with it but learn at the same time. I believe early childhood educator should have the option of introducing coding in their setting not as a mandatory content but as an option in the technology center in the classroom to develop the interest of children in coding before they reach the elementary or higher levels and also for them to see it as a fun content for every one and not geeks only

Paste the URL to your scratch program below as a text response. https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/560477638/editor/ ☞ What does the Stage have in common with Sprites? the common factor in the stages is that it all shows even or location of the spirits day at every point in time. ☞ How is the Stage different from Sprites? the stages are where the event the spirit engages in takes place . ☞ How is the “change backdrop” block similar to the “broadcast” block? these two blocks are similar in the sense that they both allow you to change an aspect of your program at a command or allow you to sequence speech or events

Paste the URL to your Scratch program below as a text response. https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/560469377/editor/ ☞ How would you describe broadcast and receive blocks to someone else? a broadcast block is an even block that ensures that the current element is broadcast to any linked targets. A receive block activates its script when the specified broadcast has been sent by a calling script ☞ In this project, you remixed another creator’s program. Explain what remixing is in less than 3 sentences remixing is Changing project as desired, such as changing costumes, or fixing bugs caused by errors in scripting. the Modifications must be done to the projects before uploading. and they can be changed to your desire

Did you find yourself following the individual steps of the debugging process? Why or why not? yes, I followed it because it made it easier for me to identify the bug and fix it ☞ Paste a link to your favorite Debug it! program https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/557115213/editor

Aniya
August 23, 2021 5:21 pm

Dear Abigail:
I am excited to read about how you define coding in your post, ” ‘Coding’ My View”, because I feel like it corrects the misconception that many have as to what coding truly is. I think many times we rely on a definition that has been implanted in us because of what we have heard others say or what we see in the media, but it is truly much simpler than that. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Does this mean that coding is for only people who are computer geeks or people who are interested in stem and computer science or technology? no!”. I think this is awesome because the quote confronts a bias that many people hold. It is good to be confronted about the preconceived notions that we hold without even noticing the damage that they can do. Another sentence that I enjoyed was: “I believe early childhood educator should have the option of introducing coding in their setting not as a mandatory content but as an option in the technology center in the classroom to develop the interest of children in coding before they reach the elementary or higher levels and also for them to see it as a fun content for every one and not geeks only”. This stood out for me because we as teachers may not have the means or approval to engage in teaching coding as a required subject area, but if we expose them to it occassionally and allow them to interact with it, they may develop an interest in computer science and see themselves as capable of coding. 

Have you seen this article “Coding and Computational Thinking in Early Childhood: The Impact of ScratchJr in Europe”?(https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1190774.pdf). I thought you might be interested in this because it speaks of the way that Scratch Jr. was used in Europe in Early Childhood to have students engage in Coding and Computational Thinking. 

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I would love to read about the ways you discovered the best methods to have students engage in computational thinking. It is truly a skill that they would benefit from in the long run. 

Laura
August 20, 2021 5:37 pm

Dear Abigail:
I am thrilled by your post “coding” my view” because you explain what coding is about and that people do not need to be expert to use this coding program.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This makes me think that using Resnick’s 4 p roject peers passion and play to enable people see the simplicity as well as encourage them to use coding (scratch) as a computational tool.” I think this is an excellent point because this will allow people to learn from different point of view where they will be interested about their project. I believe Redneck’s Four P’s of Creative Learning will help us to engage children in the classroom.

Another sentence that I enjoyed was: “From this, I also believe that we can use coding to teach children who are fluent in languages other than English using the coding system or picture language coordination so they can have fun with it but learn at the same time.” This stood out for me because I created a Scratch program where it said the vowels in English and Spanish and it as very cool. I found that I could this extension blocks to created lessons that support non-English speaking students.

Have you seen this https://www.naeyc.org/resources/pubs/tyc/feb2017/creating-coding-stories-and-games. I thought you might be interested in this because of it talks about how coding could be implemented as play and hands-on ways to support children’ exploration.  
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you did a great emphasis that coding is for everyone.

2
0
()