There’s no denying that global warming is one of the main world issues, but even with the scientific evidence, there is still a huge misconception of whether global warming is a matter of science or opinion. In a study done by Business Insider of 3022 randomly selected Americans, the majority of anti climate changers said that they simply “do not see the weather changing around them.” Climate change won’t necessarily change the weather in your hometown, but her are some things that it is doing.

Climate change is warming the ocean. The average temperature of the top 100 feet of ocean has risen .06 degrees fahrenheit since 1969. Antarctica’s ice sheets are melting, with Greenland losing 279 billion tons of ice per year since 1993. The average global temperature has risen 2.05 degrees fahrenheit. Glacier sizes are declining around the world. The global sea level has risen 8 inches. This list could go on, but you get the point. These changes may not seem durastic, but remember that we are talking about geological time and size. There are 321,000,000 cubic miles of water in the ocean, so to heat up the upper layer by .06 degrees is a big deal.  Here is a graph of Ocean temperatures starting at 1880. From 1880 to about 1940 Ocean temperatures appear to be stable. Then from 1940 to the mid 1970’s the temperature teater daughter. Then BOOM! From about 1975 to 2015, which is when the graph ends, there is a huge increase in the Oceans temperature. Ocean warming | IUCN

Some people argue that these are just global temperature trends, and that temperatures have always risen and declined. Well let’s take a look at this CO2 emissions graph.

CO2 emissions - Our World in Data

Starting around 1850 there was a slight rise in CO2 emissions. Then at some point in the 1950s CO2 emissions sky rocket. These two graphs have very similar patterns. It’s not just about ocean temperature. You could look at most global warming graphs and they would look similar to a global CO2 emissions graph. 

With false information so easily accessible on the internet and politicians who still do not openly admit to climate change, you could see why there is still a large number of people who aren’t convinced. Below is the closing statement from an interview with Vice president Mike pence in 2019. Jake tapper originally asked if Pence thought that “climate change is an emergency threat to the United states.” After much confusion Pence would not directly address the question. 

TAPPER: OK. So you don’t think it is a threat, is all I’m saying? You don’t think it is a threat?

PENCE: I think we’re making great progress reducing carbon emissions, America has the cleanest air and water in the world. We will continue to use market forces…

TAPPER: That is not true. We don’t have the cleanest air and water in the world.

(America is the tenth ranked country when it comes to air quality, making Pences statement incorrect.)

Just recently the new republican supreme court nominee Judge Amy Barret was asked her views on climate change during the  Senate Judiciary committee interview. Judge Barret referred to climate change as a “very continuous matter of public debate” and then proceeded to say that she “will not express a view on a matter of public policy, especially one that is politically controversial.” Yeah… scary. This is not a matter of politics or opinion, in fact, it has nothing to do with democrats or republicans. This is a global issue that we must continue to educate ourselves on and find ways to cut down on our individual CO2 emissions. 

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2018/01/the-global-co2-rise-the-facts-exxon-and-the-favorite-denial-tricks/

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court-climate-change-conservative-b1053074.html

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/24/politics/mike-pence-climate-crisis/index.html

https://www.iucn.org/resources/issues-briefs/ocean-warming

https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions

https://www.businessinsider.com/does-the-us-have-the-cleanest-air-in-the-world-2018-10

1. Maia 4 weeks ago

Hi Miles!

I very much resonated with your post because I agree that climate change should not be considered political. It is something that is actually occurring, and it is a very serious problem that needs to be addressed by those in government.

I like how you included graphs and statistics. It helped me see visually the various impacts on the world’s climate. I also found it interesting that you included the perspectives of those in government, like Mike Pence and Amy Coney Barrett. I agree that it is truly scary that people who are governing our country don’t recognize this issue. Climate is not political, nor should it involve having an opinion on whether or not it is real. Climate change is a threat to our livelihood, and something must be done about it. I think that the fact that so many young people today are actively contributing to solving this problem provides a bit of relief for our future.

Thank you for your post! I look forward to seeing what you write next because this post can open the eyes of those who may not realize the severity of an issue as threatening as climate change.

2. Ellie 4 weeks ago

Miles,
    Thank you for writing such an insightful and analytical piece! I definitely agree with many points you brought up in this, especially the importance of differentiating between observable weather and the Earth’s changing climate. The fact that you were able to use facts and figures to prove that climate change is real and increasing makes your points and this post a whole a lot stronger! That being said, it is a sign of the times we are in that this very serous issue is being politicized and presented as a belief instead of scientific fact. The politicians that some have elected and the ones we will continue to elect have a huge impact on how climate change is handled in this country and I am very glad to see you call attention to this! I really enjoyed reading the data and interpreting the graphs you included and I hope you continue to stay updated about this issue and educate others! Keep it up!

3. Rohit 4 weeks ago

Thank you for bringing attention to this. I feel as if climate change is the biggest global problem besides COVID-19 at the moment. Time and time again people have shown evidence of the earth climate change, but nothing is done powerful enough to set the earth on the right track. You’re one of the only people to push this issue and show evidence as to why action should be taken.

4. Anna 4 weeks ago

Dear Miles,
    I am happy to read your post because I also agree with you on the fact that climate change is not up for debate; it is a scientific problem that must be addressed. I also was happy to see in your post the different graphs along with your evidence as I think it adds support to your argument. A couple things that you wrote that stand out to me are the comments from Vice President Pence and newly nominated Judge Barrett, Pence saying “America has the cleanest air and water” and Barrett saying climate change is “politically controversial.” I think it is intelligent to add these statements as the statements show how even the leaders of the U.S. do not understand the problem at hand, which only adds to your argument of needing education and action for climate change. Your post reminds me of the conversations I have with people about climate change. Some of the people believe action is necessary, while others say it does not exist as they do not see the climate ‘changing’ near them. It is frustrating to hear and I hope they read posts like yours to eventually understand the drastic impact climate change is having on the world. Thank you for writing about this issue, and I look forward to seeing what you write next since I believe we possess similar opinions on this issue and it is great see other young people pointing out what needs to be changed in the world.