Golden Gate Bridge during daytime

We are repetitively being told by schools and politicians to have pride in our country and its values. Values of freedom, individualism, equality, patriotism, and a fear of government corruption. Being American means sharing these ideals and values. But America’s biggest struggle is upholding these values into law and life because of the failure to spread information where we should. 

In the song “Waiting on the World to Change” by John Mayer, John sings about citizen’s inability to make a change in America because we are dependant on the information that politicians and media tell us. So, we have to wait for other people to solve problems for us. This is not supposed to be how things work, especially in a free democratic state. The people not having enough independent voice of what happens in our government directly translates to a slow and tiring process of fixing problems and upholding values. 

This problem is also used as a solution in songs like “This Is America” by Donald Glover. In this song, Donald is using the media to spread information and awareness about problems being ignored that are important to solve to uphold American values. Another example would be the song “Pumped Up Kicks” by Foster the People, where the artist tells the story of a school shooter, which is a common problem in America. 

Using these platforms to spread information is extremely important, but we would not need to rely on songs going viral for the spread of ideas if public schools, politicians, and media took on these challenges themselves, as they are meant to. These challenges can be overcome, but it is important that we continue to fight for our values. 

“Childish Gambino – This Is America.” Genius, 6 May 2018, genius.com/Childish-gambino-this-is-america-lyrics.

“Foster the People – Pumped Up Kicks.” Genius, 14 Oct. 2010, genius.com/Foster-the-people-pumped-up-kicks-lyrics.

“John Mayer – Waiting on the World to Change.” Genius, 1 Aug. 2006, genius.com/John-mayer-waiting-on-the-world-to-change-lyrics. 

November 3, 2020 3:48 am

It is true that there are multiple issues that the politicians haven’t brought it up yet due to their uncertainty to be reelected. And it is often the public force the politician to make a change

November 2, 2020 12:43 pm

i agree with what you said here especially how we shouldn’t rely on music to bring up public issues.

Elena
November 2, 2020 12:36 pm

I completely agree with your ideas in this essay. I think that our country is held up on a pedal stool for so many things, but can’t be held accountable for many of them. I liked how you included “Waiting on the World to Change” by John Mayer. I think this song is a great symbol of what we feel as citizens right now, especially with the upcoming election so close and so many issues going on in the country.

3
0
()