pink and white flower petals

The pandemic has been present in our lives since the CDC reported the first case in the United States a year ago. A lot of people were really misinformed about this virus, I heard several times people making fun of COVID-19 because they didn’t know what consequences it would bring to our normal routine in the future. When I first heard about the virus, I thought people were exaggerating it because it was unreal for me to believe in it. In addition, I also remember joking with my friends about this virus, like a lot of people did, I didn’t take it seriously at first. Then when I started watching the news and realizing that people were dying because of this, I felt scared and overwhelmed but not for me, I felt that way for my parents because I remembered that they spend the whole day working outside the home and they are constantly exposing themselves to everything. I remember thinking of me wearing the prom dress that I bought because even though I knew that this virus was something serious, I thought it would be over in a month because the government would take control of it correctly. Nowadays, I am used to wearing a mask and staying 6 feet away from others, what was weird for me a year ago is totally normal now. 

I decided to interview my friend from Argentina because he is an immigrant and it would be interesting to know an immigrant’s perspective about how the coronavirus affected their lives. He works as a delivery driver, he delivers food riding a bike and also he works a full-time job in a restaurant. Miguel the guy that I interviewed has been saving money since the pandemic began because he said that he doesn’t know if he would lose his job any time. According to Miguel since the pandemic started he has been working a lot because people are using more delivery services due to they cannot go out. In addition, he says that public transportation services have changed by the beginning of the quarantine because of the quick spreading of this virus, everyone is required to wear a mask and no more than 10 people per bus. He worries about losing his jobs because thanks to those jobs he is supporting his family in Venezuela. 

”With the money that I am making here I have to support them economically in Venezuela because most of them lost their jobs and the situation there is not helpful.” he said in a text message. 

Wearing masks is a strong example of the differences between Buenos Aires and Berkeley. At the beginning of the pandemic until nowadays in where I live wearing a mask is a requirement to get into any place. This was mandatory in Berkeley since the first case of COVID-19 showed up in California. In contrast, when the first case of Coronavirus showed up in Argentina, they ignored this serious virus and more people started to get infected. At that point, citizens started wearing masks because they realized that COVID-19 wasn’t a joke. As a consequence of the bad policy applied on masks more people died consequently and the majority of citizens got infected quickly, increasing the average of cases and deaths in the country. Even though Argentina took action over COVID-19 after the USA did, there are around 15 million people in Buenos Aires and by July 19th there were 8 thousand people infected with the virus and at the end of 2020, there were around the same number of cases. On the other hand, Berkeley has a population of approximately 120.000 people who by July 19th 8 thousand of them were infected and by the end of 2020 around 35.000 thousand people got the virus. It shows the bad management over the pandemic in the United States. 

After conducting this interview I learned how the pandemic affected and terrified people I also learned that people who were not economically or legally established in a specific place were seriously affected. When I think about how my life was like one year ago, I feel that I lived in an unreal world, those experiences that I had before Coronavirus at this moment seem fictitious. I cannot believe that I literally wasted a year of my life doing nothing, I feel disappointed and sad because life is too short, and feeling that I have been doing nothing with it really makes me reflect. I feel that I am losing my best years locked in my house. Now I can appreciate the fact of being healthy and with my family alive. I also appreciate every moment with my parents, sister, and friends because I know that those moments are not going to come back; they are going to be just memories. I hope that this pandemic makes us reflect about being doing what we want to do or be, without fear or questions, we have to be brave and select carefully what we want for our future because the time that is leaving doesn’t come back. 

March 8, 2021 6:35 pm

Dear camila, the truth is, your post was very interesting to me because, as they say, people took the codiv as a joke and when people began to die they already began to make the rules but it was too late because the codiv was already around almost everyone.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is that everyone took the codiv as a game i think this is that was what isolate the codiv spread.

Dulce
Dulce
February 15, 2021 8:06 am

Dear camila
I am impressed by your writing in the article “covid-19 around the world”, this really makes me understand the changes that covid has made in peoples lives. I think that covid has changed many of us in bad and good ways.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “I hope that this pandemic makes us reflect about being doing what we want to do or be, without fear or questions, we have to be brave and select carefully what we want for our future because the time that is leaving doesn’t come back. ” This is very true because now I realized that we should not waste any time. We have to learn to take the opportunity when its there an open.

Thank you for writing this. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I know this can make an impact on peoples lives. We have to learn how to go through tough challenges in life.
Dulce Cardona

February 13, 2021 7:54 am

Dear Camila,
I am so excited about your post ’’COVID-19 Around the world: Buenos Aires, Argentina’’, because it’s shocking how people made jokes about the pandemic and didn’t believe in a certain virus. I think that after they began to broadcast on the news the propaganda all the people began to prepare.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: ‘’the people started wearing masks because they realized that COVID-19 wasn’t a joke’’, I think it was good that people realized what was really happening since by putting on their mask they could avoid getting infected.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like your post and I like the way you express yourself.

February 3, 2021 5:42 pm

Hello Camila, How are you now with the pandemic? Hey, I read that your publication is very interesting since we all had that abrupt change, what caught my attention the most was that you commented that before the pandemic you laughed at that And now that you saw that the virus increased and people died, ¿ what happened? you feel? I found it very interesting since you commented on many causes before and after, Your population makes us reflect, Thank you for taking the time for that.

February 3, 2021 5:33 pm

Dear Camila
I’m enjoying your post but also intrigued “ Causes of the Pandemic in Berkeley vs. Buenos Aires” because In your post you tell us about how the pandemic is affecting people’s lives, which is true in each country, is a little different, but it is seriously affecting us all, as you said, many people did not believe it and took it at stake but later they they realized that this was really serious.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: A phrase you wrote that catches my attention is: “I feel like I live in an unreal world” I think this is scary because As your friend Miguel says, everything is very different now, you can’t do many things from before and that is very sad for everyone.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because this topic about the pandemic is very important so we all stay informed of what is happening around us, I hope to know and know a little more than you know.

Andrea A.

February 3, 2021 5:26 pm

the pandemic has affected and ther are reports that covid cases wuere occurring in united states and mhother who was going to take a job did not take it because she had children and wuas going spread them

February 3, 2021 5:21 pm

Dear Camila,

I am impressed by your post “Causes of the Pandemic in Berkeley vs. Buenos Aires” because it is impressed how you watch the news and you didn’t take it seriously at first and you see in the news that people is died for the virus then you interview your friend from Argentina to know how the virus is affecting their lives .

Thank you for writing this I would like you to write more about the pandemic

Jeimy

Natalia
February 2, 2021 5:34 pm

Hi Camila,
I really enjoyed reading your post. I appreciate how you reflected on the way your level of seriousness really evolved as the effects of the virus began to unfold before us. I also liked learning about the difference between Berkeley’s response and Venezuela’s/Argentina’s (?).

I’m glad you have you have learned to value your time with your family and friends. However, it was sad for me to read that you feel you have wasted a year of your life and this time should represent the best years of your life. I like to think that our time at home has motivated us to do activities in our home that we might not have done under normal circumstances. In my family we have had family game nights, family movie nights, and more family walks. In the spring we ate meals in our backyard and enjoyed the seeing the hummingbirds in the process. One of my daughters has taken up crafting and re-transforming her room over and over. I’ve practiced yoga a lot more than I did before and that has helped me so much. Also, as someone in her late 40’s, I don’t necessarily think the teen years are the best. You have so much ahead of you. Some (if not all) of my greatest joys have been in adulthood. I know it is hard but I think it is worth it to engage in enriching activities you might not have done before Covid. Also, enjoy dreaming about how beautiful the entirety of your life can be and make choices that will help you make that life a reality.

Ms. N.

February 1, 2021 5:47 pm

Dear Camila,

I am intrigued by your post, “ Causes of the Pandemic in Berkeley vs. Buenos Aires” because we can see and understand how the pandemic has had an effect on people’s lives. It is true that the pandemic wasn’t taken seriously at first until it really took a part of people’s lives and how it affected more than just the stay at home order.

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me is, “ Miguel the guy that I interviewed has been saving money since the pandemic began because he said that he doesn’t know if he would lose his job any time.” This certain instance shows that those who don’t live as financially stable as others have been greatly affected and not only do they have to worry about money but worry about their career.

Thank you for this writing. I look forward to what your next writing is, because you bring up issues that need to be addressed more often. I would like you to continue writing about the pandemic and how it affects people differently.

Aaliyah

Help on Youth Voices
9
0
()

Connect with