In the article, “Cars that stop drunk driving” I learned that when Congress passed Biden’s infrastructure deal, a demand that consisted of finding a way to stop drunk people from driving cars was made towards U.S. automakers. This has caused some sort of conflict between whether or not we should continue with that demand and make it possible to do so. Some people believe that we should continue with that demand meanwhile there’s other people who believe we should not. For example, for those who think we should state that drunk driving is a leading cause of death on America’s roadways. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, roughly ten thousand Americans per year are killed in alcohol-related crashes. And for those who believe we should not continue with that demand say monitoring systems may not be reliable. The Alliance for Automotive Innovation has raised concerns that camera-based monitors are sometimes inaccurate. Which could possibly lead to peoples cars shutting off even when they are not under the influence.

Personally I believe that we should not continue with that demand, only because it’s true that maybe it’s not the best idea for someone’s car to shut off when they are not under the influence. Although I also believe that it’s a good idea that something is able to prevent the chances of a crash from occurring.

Do you think cars should be required to have anti-drunk driving monitors?

March 25, 2022 8:58 am

Dear Sophia,

I was really intrigued by your post! I had no idea that developments to combat the problem of drunk driving accidents were taking place with self-driving cars. Though, it really makes sense since newer advancements in cars are developing all the time. I also hadn’t realized this was so high in demand due to the Infrastructure Bill.

I liked how you included the opposing opinion against this anti-drunk driving prevention method since it is important to know all the risks with something like this. I also appreciated how you included statistics of the deaths caused by drunk driving. It really shows the extent of the problem and how important this issue is.

Personally, I am leaning more towards yes on this debate since I feel like it could do a lot of good. Maybe not the idea now as is, but with adjustments and safety measures I feel as though an anti-drunk-driving mechanism in cars could save lots of lives.

Thank you for writing this post. I’m glad I was able to learn something new! I look forward to you next post as I really enjoy your ability to summarize a topic, present multiple perspectives, and provide some evidence for each perspective.

– Maritza ^^*

March 12, 2022 3:41 am

Dear Sophia,

I am impressed by your post, ” Cars That Stop Drunk Driving..” because this problem can cause many conflicts and deaths to many Americans who drive everyday to their work. Many people lose their lives because they are drunk when they are driving.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “This has caused some sort of conflict between whether or not we should continue with that demand and make it possible to do so. Some people believe that we should continue with that demand meanwhile there’s other people who believe we should not.” I think they should continue with the demand because this would be more safety to everyone.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I like how you give two different opinions on how people are agree and disagree in this topic.

February 15, 2022 8:26 pm

Dear Sophia, Thank you for sharing how these cars can change in impact for everyone. I think this would be a good investment for the world. especially when many people are losing their lives due to drunk drivers or drunk driving. This would in fact be helpful to the world because it would help reduce accidents due to alcohol. If you can answer the questions Brianna has asked cause as I am very curious about it. This was a very interesting topic and curious how it would be introduced to our community.

4
0
()