Shadow Box Artist Statement

Alex Tum

The objects in my Shadow Box represents my counter narrative. When people see me they might think that because I am a teenager that I might not do my work and that I am reckless. Most of the time it’s true. But not all the time. Sometimes I do my work and I get it done. If it’s something important that I have to do than I do it. When it’s time for me to get serious I do the work. The rubric in my Shadow Box shows that I can pass things if I chose to. I got a 2 in the rubric so I passed but I could try harder and pass with a higher grade. That’s my counter narrative because I am showing that I can get work done and that I can also can do better if I put my mind on it. Being a teenager is a assigned identity but trying to be a good treenager is a chosen identity. When I see myself sometimes I think that I am a reckless and a person who doesn’t care but then I also see that I can chose who I want to be and that I don’t have to let people decide if I am a bad person.

I am latino and my counter narrative is that I don’t only eat like tamales and tacos. I put the chicken because I also like chicken. Being Latino is an assigned identity and I am proud to be Latino. Some Latinos don’t make very good choices but that doesn’t meant that I do bad choices to. People get judged for the people actions that and that not good. Over all I just want to say that I am me and that no one can change who I am and if they don’t like who I am the have to deal with it because it is not them.

Matthew
February 2, 2018 5:11 pm

Dear Alex,

Thank you for sharing your work. My name is Matthew E and I am a student at Fremont High School.
Something I liked about your work was your theme about your favorite food.
Something I have a question about is Would you add more things other than food? Please feel free to comment on my work in the future. The address of my student blog is http://matthewefhs2021.edublogs.org/2017/11/03/assignment-5/.
Thank You!
Matthew

Chanburak
October 22, 2017 3:14 am

Hey there I’m Jordan, a senior from Fremont High School and I really enjoyed your shadow box project because it had a lot of things that I enjoy myself such as the chicken wings and the money. I have just a couple of questions about your shadow box,
1.Who or what inspired your love for chicken wings?
2.Whis is there 3 pictures of chicken wings?
3.Was there something that you wanted to put in your shadow box that you simply did not have room for?

Jordan

2
0
()