I chose to do the first part of the “to be or not to be” speech from Hamlet, acting as Hamlet. It is Act 3, Scene 1, Lines 57-66. I learned that it is really difficult to choose the proper tone, inflection, and volume in any of Shakespeare’s writing, because the language is drastically different than what we are used to. Also, we have become more and more monotone in the way that we speak, and so whenever we watch actors and actresses performing Shakespeare they are much more dramatic in the way they talk than we are in day to day conversation. This makes trying to perform Shakespeare with no training extremely difficult. After practicing a bit, more than anything I now feel like I know a little bit more about what Hamlet was going through when he gave these particular lines. There is a lot of anguish and almost anxiety over the choice that he has to make between life and death.

0
()