Majority of parents want their children to succeed and grow in other aspects of life, but for some that doesn’t come easy. Many blame their children’s bad grades on them not paying attention in class, studying hard enough for a test or failing to complete their assignments (Frank). What most don’t realize is that all of these negatives happenings in their child’s schooling could ultimately be a result of ADHD.

The reason a stigma exists for ADHD is because many view it as an excuse for laziness and getting extra attention. Since school will come as a challenge to those suffering, many individuals will base the child’s grades on their worth. Many are ashamed of taking medication and seeking help, but I feel it’s important to not be ashamed, since you can’t control it. It’s important to remind those suffering that it is possible to succeed and that you can’t give up because then you’re letting your weaknesses win you over (Mueller). 

It’s better to embrace your illness than being ashamed of it, since it doesn’t identify your true self (Sherman). According to Dr. Stephen Hinshw, ADHD is more common in males, so when young women are diagnosed many view them as having severe issues. As an individual who suffers from ADHD, I don’t view myself any differently from my classmates, but that I just need a little more assistance when it comes to school.

https://childmind.org/article/stigma-girls-and-adhd/

Frank, Michelle. “ADHD: The Facts.” ADDA – Attention Deficit Disorder Association, 24 July 2020, add.org/adhd-facts/.

Mueller, Anna K, et al. “Stigma in Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.” Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorders, Springer Vienna, Sept. 2012, www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3430836/.

Sherman, Carl, and Carl Sherman. “Coping With the Stigma of ADHD.” ADDitude, 29 Oct. 2020, www.additudemag.com/overcoming-adhd-stigma/

1. Emily 2 weeks ago

Lydia,
    I’m glad you wrote about this topic because it needs to be talked about. Things like ADHD do not need to be hidden. I think schools should try to be accommodating to the student instead of vise versa. Not to say that I am against medication if it is necessary or wanted, but it shouldn’t be expected. If schools and society were more accepting and accommodating I think people could embrace their differences. Thank you for sharing your writing.

2. Miles 2 weeks ago

This post was relatable and interesting to read. During the quarantine of this pandemic, I was felt it more difficult to stay focused or care about my schoolwork when stuck at home every day. ADHD is an important issue because it is often perceived as a fake disorder because teenagers can make it as an excuse for being lazy or unmotivated, however, it’s much more serious than that.

3. Sara 2 months ago

Lydia,
    I really liked this article a lot and it’s really relatable, I really agree with so many of these points that you touched on in this blog post! One of the quotes that you said that I liked the most was where you talked about how an individual shouldn’t have to feel bad about speaking help and taking their medication for ADHD, I have a hard time wanting to take my medication so I found that really relatable! I also liked where you talk about how you can’t let you’re weakness win and that’s also very inspirational and I really liked it

4. Mary Kate 2 months ago

Hi Lydia!
    I loved this blog post because it definitely hits close to home for me. I strongly agree with what you said about how grades can be seen as your worth and when someone suffers from ADHD they struggle to keep their grades up so they feel as if their self worth is extremely low. There is definitely a stigma surrounding ADHD and I strongly believe that this blog post clearly states the issue with this stigma and how to overcome this idea we have about ADHD in our heads. What you said about the hesitance to take medications for ADHD once first diagnosed is SO TRUE because from my own experience, one that suffers from ADHD does not always want to treat their lack of focus or extreme energy because most feel as if they don’t need it. Love this post Lydia!

5. Amanda 2 months ago

Lydia,
    Something that stood out to me in your blog post was when you stated that “ It’s better to embrace your illness than being ashamed of it, since it doesn’t identify your true self,” which I also agree with. With any mental illness, you should not feel like that is your only meaning in life. People it’s ADHD, depression, anxiety, and more have gone on to do amazing things while still having a mental illness. Thought one’s first thought after being diagnosed may be shame or sadness, one should be proud of their mental illness because it will in turn make them a stronger individual who can help those with the same issues they have previously dealt with.

Nice work!

6. Mary 2 months ago

Lydia,
    I really enjoyed the way this blog post was written. It was very detailed but still got the point across clearly. I also really like how you made this post personal, that shows how you relate to the topic discussed and your courage in general to make it personal. I also really like how you emphasize that illnesses such as ADHD do not define someone as a person. This post does a great job of challenging stereotypes and stigmas of mental illnesses in our society.

7. Keira 2 months ago

Lydia,
    I agree with everything you said and I admire your courage to write about a topic that may be difficult to talk about. I definitely feel that people need to become more confident in themselves and not let an uncontrollable illness or condition depict who they are as a person. It is important to note that an illness does not make a person any weaker or lesser than anyone else, but helps the person become stronger and more aware of what others may be suffering from. In society today there seems to be a stigma on a condition or illness and I like how pointed out that this does not define people but just encourages them to seek help when needed.

8. Emily Lentz 2 months ago

Dear Lydia,

I really liked how you structured your blog post. You first began by discssuing the different stigmas that people have and then the importance of self-acceptance. You also used relevant evidence to support your argument and provided the reader with an engaging post. This post challenges the reader to examine the stigmas that people often place on others.

9. Paige 2 months ago

Dear Lydia,

Something that stood out to me in your post was, “It’s better to embrace your illness than being ashamed of it, since it doesn’t identify your true self.” I agree with this statement because no one should ever be ashamed of any mental illness that they have. If anything they should feel proud of it because having to deal with it can make them stronger as an individual.

Another sentence that stood out to me was when you said, “The reason a stigma exists for ADHD is because many view it as an excuse for laziness and getting extra attention.” I think that people with ADHD should not be seen as trying to be lazy and wanting attention because they are actually working harder when working on something than people who do not have it in order to focus.

• Julia B. 2 months ago

Hey Lydia!
      I love how you discussed how ADHD affects you personally as well as how people should treat someone with ADHD. I feel like today ADHD is a joke to many people, which is extremely disheartening. Someone might be straightening their pencils and they will say “Sorry, I have ADHD haha”, but in reality they do not and they are just saying that to make a joke. I also love how you discussed other people valuing themselves based on their grades. This is so disappointing because someone’s grades do not define them as a person. What truly matters is how they treat others and who they are on the inside. The only thing I would add to your blog post is how you cope with ADHD because that would be very interesting to learn about. Overall, this was a great blog post! Nice work Lydia!