A person undergoes many thoughts about themselves based on society’s so-called ‘standards.’ It is said that men have to be tall and muscular and women have to be beautiful with an amazing body. The standards that society puts on a person causes them to overthink their own body image. On a daily basis, males but mostly females struggle with their personal body image because of influences from one’s family, peers, social media or past experiences making them believe they are not good enough therefore affecting the way they view themselves.

One’s family could be a potential positive or negative influence on one’s body image. Family members are most likely the first people to notice signs of a person putting too much attention on their body appearance such as “criticizing his or her body, continually comparing his or her body with others, and obsessing about losing weight or gaining weight” (Body Image). Family members should be supportive of diet changes and exercise as long as it’s being done for healthy reasons.

Another major factor that influences one’s body image is social media. Through social media, people have an idea of how they believe they should look and unrealistic expectations. This misleading idea causes them to want to change their appearance and most often affects them in a negative way. Social media influencers often only post the highlights of their life and best photos of themselves also with photoshopped pictures causing their viewers to create unrealistic ideals for themselves based on what they see through their social media (Heger). People take the information they see on social media and use it as comparison which affects their own personal body image. Alternatively, they could use social media influencers as role models or motivation to pursue a better understanding of a healthy body image.Through studies it is shown “that after viewing positive content, the women not only felt better about their bodies, but they were also in better moods” showing how social media could also be a positive influence on body image (Heger). Social media should be used as a tool to help improve personal body image not ruin one’s confidence or self esteem.

All the negative factors affecting someone’s body image causes harm to their mental health. Through the ideas of how one should look, people may make drastic changes to achieve a ‘perfect body image’ which can also cause harm to their body. Changes to improve one’s body so they have more confidence is not wrong as long as it is being done in a healthy way and for the correct reasons. At the end of the day, everyone should be satisfied with their body image and do what’s best for their health and not their appearance.

“Body Image: Pre-Teens and Teenagers.” Raising Children Network, 12 June 2019, raisingchildren.net.au/pre-teens/healthy-lifestyle/body-image/body-image-teens.

Heger, Erin. “Why Social Media Can Make You Feel Bad about Your Body – and 3 Easy Tips to Use Social Media to Boost Self-Esteem.” Insider, Insider, 9 Mar. 2021, https://www.insider.com/how-social-media-affects-body-image.

Jocelyn
September 22, 2022 5:57 pm

Dear Yamilet,

I am astonished by your post, “Body Image” because this topic is very relevant nowadays and has peer pressured many females and males in a negative way. I think it is really important for us teenagers to force a positive impact within’ ourselves and be more supportive about oneself. I strongly agree that social has set standards very high for females which leads them to speak so negatively about themselves, which then provokes mental and physical illness.

One sentence that really stood out to me is, “People take the information they see on social media and use it as comparison which affects their own personal body image.” I think this is definitely true because this leads to females or even males comparing themselves which then makes them feel less.

Thank you so much for your writing, I look forward to what you will write about next. You really made a positive impact in just speaking about this sensitive topic that will the make others think otherwise about themselves now.

Jocelyn

September 22, 2022 4:16 am

Dear yamillet

I am very touched by your post “Body image” because I too struggled with my appearance. I think social media really does put false expectations on our generation. I believe that it will only get worse with teaching becoming more advanced, like a virtual reality where people can look any way they want. One sentence that stood out to me was “One’s family could be a potential positive or negative influence on one’s body image.” I found this interesting because when I started to work out my parents would always tell me things like “ why do you have to go” “just eat it won’t hurt you”  what size are you large?” etc all these comments made me want to stop working out. Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I liked the connections you make to social media and students’ mental health. I’ll like to hear what you think about depression and students.

Ricardo

Julio
Julio
September 12, 2022 8:56 pm

Dear Yamilet,

For the Topic “Body image” I would never think anyone would go through so much just because a couple of people don’t like you. The way you see yourself is the only way you should think. If you start thinking that you should live by how other people want you to look then your not living you’re life you’re living in a world where you want others to be boring. A “Perfect body” does not exist because nobody knows what a perfect body is. People only know what they like.
AMAZING ASSUMPTION

Last edited 13 days ago by Paul Allison
Belen
September 7, 2022 11:47 pm

Dear Yamilet,
I am impressed by your post, “Body Image” because topics like this are rarely talked about, in my opinion. It is so easy to fall under the influence of needing to have a certain height or body shape, that we never stop to see the damage we are doing to ourselves. One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is “At the end of the day, everyone should be satisfied with their body image and do what’s best for their health and not their appearance.” I think this is very important to point out because a lot of people who are not comfortable in their body or with their appearance, are willing to go through extreme measures to try and achieve what society defines as the “perfect body”. Additionally, it can also lead to physical and mental health problems, so it is very crucial to keep in mind that not everyone’s body is the same and one should do what is best for their self, mind and body. Thanks for your writing! I look forward to seeing what you write next because topics like this should be more commonly discussed. I also appreciate the citations at the end of the post, not only giving credits, but also showing you did research as well.

Belen

Jennifer
September 6, 2022 2:01 am

DearYamilet:
I am appreciative, of your post, “Body Image”, because honestly, I think we all for the most part have thoughts about our body and what we can change about it. I appreciate how you included how men may also suffer with wanting to change something about their bodies I do not think many people keep that in mind.

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me is: “At the end of the day, everyone should be satisfied with their body image and do what’s best for their health and not their appearance. I think this is important to bring up because there is nothing wrong with wanting to be fit or gain some pounds as long as it’s in a healthy way and because they want to make themselves feel good.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I like your point of view on things. I also am looking forward to what you write next because I like how you bring up topics that may sometimes be overlooked.

Jennifer

August 30, 2022 3:02 am

Dear Yamilet,

I am amazed by your post, “Body Image” because poor body image causes people to constantly feel self-conscious and suffer from mental health. Society has affected many of us by setting beauty standards, they expect us to look a certain way. These beauty standards are toxic because they normalize unrealistic measures. They suggest that the key to building our self-esteem is physical ‘perfection’. I genuinely believe that social media takes a big part when it comes to body image, unrealistic expectations are put out everywhere on social media which negatively affects people by wanting to change their appearance. 

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is “All the negative factors affecting someone’s body image cause harm to their mental health…Through the ideas of how one should look, people may make drastic changes to achieve a ‘perfect body image’ which can also cause harm to their body.” I think it is unbelievable because it’s outrageous what measures one may take just to get a perfect body image. Society’s unrealistic beauty standards create an immense sense of pressure. 

Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because topics just like this one are extremely important for people to be aware of. You put your thoughts into what you wrote and explained everything so thoroughly. 

Jasmin

Ashley
August 29, 2022 7:18 pm

Dear Yamilet, I am happy you made this post about “Body Image” as that’s something that a lot of people now a day suffer from. I believe many people will identify with your post as many suffer from body dysmorphia, they don’t feel comfortable in their own bodies, therefor reading this post will help them know they’re not alone. One sentence you wrote that stood out to me was “A person undergoes many thoughts about themselves based on society’s so-called ‘standards.” I think that sentence was really powerful/meaningful because many because feel like they have to be a certain someone or fall in a certain category to fall into society’s “likings.” I believe that this sentence helps prove that society plays a huge role in the way people see each other and feel about, towards themselves. Thanks for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because, you talk about many common problems that are occurring in today’s society. I believe you are a great writing with a lot of potential.

— Ashley

Alexia
August 26, 2022 9:08 pm

Dear Yamilet,

I appreciate you for this post, “Body Image,” because a lot of people think that issues with how we view ourselves are just from rude comments people say about us. Whether it’s in front of our faces or behind our backs. I think it’s diverting that you briefly explained how it isn’t just about what people say to us, but what we see and hear around us.

One sentence that really stood out to me was: “All the negative factors affecting someone’s body image causes harm to their mental health.” I think this is very noble to put out there. Most people don’t understand that commenting on someone’s body can create serious mental problems. I struggle with these problems as well. Either being called pretty for being skinny then thinking I wasn’t skinny enough or being called too skinny and constantly overeating. I remember going through serious mental issues just from worrying about my body and how it looks, then it only got worse from there.

Thank you so much for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because you seem to understand the societal mental issues that no one ever cares to talk about as much these days.

Destiny
July 17, 2022 11:30 pm

Dear Yamilet,
Thank you for writing this piece. This is a very important issue that many people battle internally every day. I have many friends and family members that suffer from body dismorphia and low self-esteem. I was blessed to have a mother who raised me to be comfortable in and to love my own skin but I try to share this positivity with those around me every chance I get.

January 28, 2022 6:42 pm

Dear yamilet,
I am happy you made this post because many people do view themselves differently. I do agree that girls have to look a certain way in order to be “the pretty girl. Females are the number one overthinkers about their bodies.

I notice more girls than body carte more about how there bodies. They see themselves differently than other people see them. I do agree with the fact that social media post themselves as if they have a perfect body and many teen girls and older women want that body too. Men also want to look bulky because they don’t want to be looked at as if they are skinny and not strong.

One sentence you said that stood out was, “Family members should be supportive of diet changes and exercise as long as it’s being done for health reasons” This stood out to be because family members can be very supportive and tell us we look beautiful but we want something more and better.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because it is a really important topic that needs to be addressed because many people go through this.

January 27, 2022 4:48 pm

Dear Yamilet,
I am very intrigued by your post, “Body Image” because I can agree with you that now in days people have high stands on what men and women should look. I can also say that I can notice many people be insecure because of the way they look. I can also agree that social media has put out a unrealistic standard for girls to look like.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, “This misleading idea causes them to want to change their appearance and most often affects them in a negative way.” I think this is a very true statement because even myself I can see it on social media.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I can see that you talk about situations that aren’t really talked about. I am also looking forward to your writing again because you seem to put in your thoughts on what your writing about.

January 23, 2022 8:37 am

Dear Yamilet,
I enjoyed reading your post about the views on body image because its something that is very big today. I do agree with you on the standards that have been set for men and women body types these days are heavily influenced by social media. Everyone wants to look the same because social media has set one type of body as beautiful when in reality all body types are beautiful.

One thing you said that stuck out to me is when you said, ¨Through the ideas of how one should look, people may make drastic changes to achieve a ‘perfect body image’ which can also cause harm to their body.¨ It stuck out to me because I feel like these days there are a lot of people, men and women who starve themselves and do other very unhealthy things to their bodies to try and meet the bodily standards that have been set.

Thank you for your writing. I look forward to reading your work again because you really got through with what you were saying and said what needed to be said about this topic. You explained it clearly and didn’t get off topic which was good as well.

Brandi Alvarez

December 10, 2021 5:52 pm

I completely agree. It is hard not to get caught up in peer pressure, social media, and comparisons, especially in high school. I’m someone that has struggled with body image for a long time but ultimately making healthy choices around eating and exercise were the most effective

November 15, 2021 9:11 pm

Dear Yamilet,
I am amazed by the information talked about in your post, “Body Image”. Society has an impact on the way people view themselves and their bodies as well as their families. They have a huge role to play in the way people see and treat themselves, especially when they are related or have a close bond. I was able to notice that a person would either be affected positively or negatively by their responses. Nevertheless, there are many cases in which they receive the negative side of it and respond by changing themselves and feeling negative about their body. Furthermore, body image is something we unconsciously judge as it has been ingrained into us by society and is connected to our mental health. This is especially important once we realize that many people feel self-conscious about themselves and that our society and families are one of the root causes for it. 
One sentence that stands out to me is: “It is said that men have to be tall and muscular and women have to be beautiful with an amazing body. As I said before I am appalled to know and recognize that many people feel the need to pressure others into a specific mold. This connects to the topic my English class was having about gender roles and how society as a general wants to put people into labels. I believe that people should be who they are and learn to love themselves especially when many people struggle with their body image, which may affect them negatively about the way they view themselves. 
Thank you for writing this as it will help others become more aware of the fact that body image has been influencing and pressuring others to change themselves. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because of the facts and points you made out in your writing. Your writing was able to help me recognize just how much family affects the way you view and feel about yourself. I appreciate the fact that you were able to put down the sources you found your information on as I was able to read more on the topic. 

Linette A

November 15, 2021 9:09 pm

Dear Yamilet,
I am astonished by the information talked about in your post, “Body Image”. Society has an impact on the way people view themselves and their bodies as well as their families. They have a huge role to play in the way people see and treat themselves, especially when they are related or have a close bond. I was able to notice that a person would either be affected positively or negatively by their responses. Nevertheless, there are many cases in which they receive the negative side of it and respond by changing themselves and feeling negative about their body. Furthermore, body image is something we unconsciously judge as it has been ingrained into us by society and is connected to our mental health. This is especially important once we realize that many people feel self-conscious about themselves and that our society and families are one of the root causes for it. 

Linette A

Last edited 10 months ago by Linette
November 15, 2021 5:31 pm

Dear Yamilet:
I am intrigued about your post, “Body Image,” because this is something many people struggle with. It’s not only girls, many guys struggle with their image. this has a very negative effect on people and their confidence.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Another major factor that influences one’s body image is social media. Through social media, people have an idea of how they believe they should look and unrealistic expectations.” I think this is accurate because social media really does negatively impact people when looking at themselves. They feel they need to meet certain beauty standards and body standards.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it is a really important topic that needs to be addressed.
 Leah Rodriguez

Ashley
Reply to  Leah
August 29, 2022 7:29 pm

Leah, I strongly agree with your point as you went over the things she talked about such as body image affecting both men and women and I strongly believe that people find the need to thing they’re suppose to be a certain person or society won’t accept them for who they are as they feel like they have to stand up to society’s “norms.” Thank you for your comment as it helped break down a little of what she was going over in her “Body images” post.

November 15, 2021 3:47 am

Dear Yamilet,
I am impressed by your post, “Body Image” because it talks about a serious topic regarding one’s body image. This is a serious topic because as discussed in the post it can have many negative effects on people and their families.

One sentence you wrote that stands out to me is “All the negative factors affecting someone’s body image causes harm to their mental health”. I think this is concerning because if one’s mental health can be affected by comments about their body from others this means there could be many people going through it. This is because there is many people on social media seeing what others have to think or say about what they believe someone’s body should look like.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because maybe it will be another important topic that can help others. Such as this one which gives us a better understanding on how mental health can be effected from people overlooking what they think their bodies should look like because of what others think.

Emmanuel

November 13, 2021 6:12 pm

Dear Yamilet,
I am impressed by your post. I liked how you included the many ways a body image can affect us both positively and negatively. I found interesting the part about the way a family can play such a huge factor in someone’s body image. If your own family is criticizing you it is bound to take a huge toll on you.
Another thing I found interesting was “All the negative factors affecting someone’s body image causes harm to their mental health.” because I feel like many don’t take into account how badly it can harm someone. Most people expect you to forget about it or “get over it”. I agree that many people will try to change their body image in any way they can and they can end up harming themselves.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what your write next because you are a strong writer and are deeply connected to these issues.
Karen.

November 8, 2021 10:33 pm

Dear Yamilet:

This was a very thorough post. I like how you included the many ways in which body image can be affected both positively and negatively. I particularly liked the part about how family can play a huge factor on the state of someone’s body image. I think it’s really important to be a positive force in someone’s life in regards to their body image. This is especially true for kids/teenagers since they/we are more impressionable.

Family are people that you see quite often so if you have someone in your family who always criticizes something about your physical appearance, it’s bound to take a toll on you. This can lead to a decrease in mental health and ultimately physical health (could potentially even cause disordered eating behaviors). I feel at times in some families, though unintentionally, an environment is created where those who have a more ideal appearance are looked at in a more positive light (perhaps due to societal standards). You should always feel loved by family members, so I feel it is pertinent for families to create an environment where your value is not placed on your body (or anything else for that matter, besides maybe family values).

However, many times it can be hard to change the minds of people who are set in their beliefs. Would you have any advice on how to get people to understand the effect that body image has on people? Did you in your research fund any methods on how to deal with a negative family environment regarding body image? If this is a topic you are interested in, I’m looking forward to seeing what else you write!

Thank you for this post. It reminded me to make sure to check in on those around me!

-Maritza ^^*

Last edited 10 months ago by Maritza

20
0
()