There have always been people that struggle physically and mentally. Creating a world where they can open their phone and see thousands of runway models and instagram icons has not made it easier. Body dysmorphia has created a very negative environment around the social media industry and has made many people from this generation question their worth.   

“Body dysmorphic disorder, also known as dysmorphophobia, is a common affliction, affecting approximately 1.7% to 2.4% of the population, with roughly equal distribution among men and women.” The idea that men cannot have body dysmorphia is so beyond wrong. Anyone can have body image issues and it is really hard to overcome it when social media and people around you don’t believe you can have negative connotations with your body as a man. “The cause of body dysmorphic disorder is thought to be a combination of environmental, psychological, and biological factors. Bullying or teasing may create or foster the feelings of inadequacy, shame, and fear of ridicule.” The other idea that body dysmorphia is self inflicting is also incorrect because there are many ways it can happen. It can be caused by other peoples’ words or even biological factors.  

We can all help by creating a more positive environment within schools and on social media. There are always going to be people that find joy in tearing other people down and there is nothing we can change about their point of view. Especially now with the numbers going up in suicide and depression numbers we need to stop tearing people down and remind people that everyone has flaws. We need to try harder to understand everyone’s flaws about themselves to make them realize they are strengths. 

December 15, 2021 7:53 pm

Asher,
This was a great post! I never think about this subject so I’m glad you are bringing attention to it. With how easy it is to see other people on social media and be exposed to that toxic environment, it can be very damaging. I like how you stay positive even with the subject and said “We need to try harder to understand everyone’s flaws about themselves to make them realize they are strengths.” We definitely need to need to work towards creating a more positive environment. Spectacular post!

December 9, 2021 8:58 pm

I enjoyed reading your post. I found it to be very interesting and informative. I agree with you that it is both a mental and physical struggle. I have a friend who struggles with body dysmorphia, and it is very hard to see her go through it. I like how you showed that everybody can experience this and that is not just something that only women experience. I agree with your ideas on how to combat this problem.

November 16, 2021 4:29 pm

Hello Asher,
I really liked how you said we should all work together to create a positive environment for each other. We see “perfect” people on social media all the time, and it could bring a lot of us down. As someone who has both body dysphoria and dysmorphia (though more mild), I think it’s an important message to send. I always feel a lot better when I see people being supportive.

November 16, 2021 4:11 pm

Asher
I really enjoyed reading this. Male body dysmorphia is almost never mentioned and I think it is amazing that you were able to write about it. It is a very important topic that should be talked about more. That being said I think this is very well written and I look forward to more posts.

Rowan

November 16, 2021 4:22 am

Asher
I really loved reading your post. I think that the notion that “men cant have body dysmorphia” is such a negative idea that we all need to overcome as a society. I really liked getting more educated on this topic and am going to do further research on it. You had very good points and I really loved reading your point of view on this.
Great writing Asher!

November 16, 2021 3:48 am

Asher,

The conversation about male body dysmorphia has not been talked about as often as female body dysmorphia and I am so glad you are bringing this topic up.

The fact that body dysmorphia is “affecting approximately 1.7% to 2.4% of the population, with roughly equal distribution among men and women” is something that truly shocks me. Personally, I did not know this however I agree that ” anyone can have body image issues and it is really hard to overcome it when social media and people around you don’t believe you can have negative connotations with your body.” The fact that males are looked at to not having body dysmorphia is frustrating and like you said social media doesn’t make it any better. Social media has become so fake that the natural beauty of one’s self can often slip away. I hope that as time goes on more people begin to realize their natural beauty.

Thank you so much for sharing this insight on male body dysmorphia. The message was clear and easy to read. I hope to read more of your post soon.

Thank you,
Sarahí Carreno

November 16, 2021 2:14 am

Asher,
I really enjoyed reading your post. You made a lot of great points and I could tell you really did your research. I like how you expanded on male body dysmorphia because it’s not common for people to talk about it. You only ever really hear about the struggle girls go through with body dysmorphia. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this topic, it was nice to read from a different perspective.

November 15, 2021 8:50 pm

I think this was very well written and the subject of your post may not be the easiest to talk about but you did a very good job.

November 5, 2021 7:42 pm

Hello Asher,
I enjoyed reading your post. I like the way you gave a way for us to help spread body positivity.

I feel like what you said about males having body dysmorphia is something that doesn’t have a lot of awareness because it isn’t talked about very much. The sentence you wrote, “The other idea that body dysmorphia is self inflicting is also incorrect because there are many ways it can happen. It can be caused by other peoples’ words or even biological factors.” This is where you I agree with you because you can’t control your bodily genetics and you cannot always workout to fix what you don’t like because it has to do with your skeletal. Peoples words really do have a big affect on how people see themselves and that’s something that many people do not realize.

Thank you for this writing, it was super interesting to read. I’m looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Brandi Alvarez

Hi Asher, I definitely agree with you on that. Like your post. I do feel that a lot of my friends are getting anxiety from different social media. And they just no longer think their
body are beautiful anymore and not confident anymore. I always feel that it is kind of off about that phenomenon. It is good to know that it has something to do with our mental health. Moreover, I strongly agree with you that people should find their own strength and care less about how perfect their body are.

10
0
()