After reading the first three chapters of Victor Rios’ Street Life, I feel inspired by the events he is telling his audience. In looking at the imagery he uses to tell his story, I noticed he gets creative in describing his life and he uses visual, kinesthetic, and auditory sensory details in the first three chapters of his autobiography.

The first type of sensory detail I want to focus on is Visual imagery. In chapter 1, Rios mentions that many would depict him as a dangerous Latino stereotype. The sensory attribute that follows is ”Who was often seen as a good-for-nothing-drug-dealing-gang-banging-Mexican-criminal, would be here, on this stage, today?”. The effect this has is to describe a character so detailed and relatable; I can picture this stereotype in my head and relate.

The second type of sensory detail I want to focus on is auditory imagery. In chapter 2, Rois writes about how his mom cousin confronted the man that kidnapped and abused her. The sensory detail that follows is ”The guy fell on the ground; my mother’s cousin grabbed the man’s pistol and unloaded the entire clip into him. ”. The effect this has is to leave the reader hearing the whole clip of the gun going off nearby and imagining this so surreal event that it leaves you shooking.

The third type of sensory detail I want to focus on is kinesthetic imagery. In chapter 3, Rios talks about how he got into a fight over a nickname one of his classmates gave to him. The sensory detail that follows is ”We scuffled for a few minutes, until the yard duty separated us and took us to the office. But it was too late. My nickname for the school year became bastard”. The effect this has is to personally remind me of a similar event that happened to me in which another kid and I ,getting into a fight over him naming me bladder. I remember hitting him in the back of his head and the punches I received shortly after.

Overall, Dr. Victor Rios wants me to understand that his life hasn’t been a walk in the park and can describe it using analogies and metaphors. He shows the reader that life stories can be more than just literal sentences and can improve with creative phrases.   

0
()