Nicole Hannah Jones’s grandmother, born to a white mother and a black father, faced severe discrimination in the United States. Despite being highly qualified, she was not given access to the same employment opportunities as her white counterparts. Even when her husband, who had been born and raised in Ghana, landed in America, he was immediately subject to racial segregation. When the couple went to the Arlington courthouse to obtain their marriage license, they refused to mark the racial box as a form of protest.

Race is an incredibly complex concept, and it is important to understand how it has shaped our nation. Initially, race was not even a factor when the colonies were first established. However, as the white elite sought to maintain their power and status, racial categories were created to differentiate between black and white people. To justify the enslavement of black people, false claims of physical superiority were made, such as the myth that black people have tougher skin and stronger lungs.

Today, the effects of racism are still felt in all areas of society, including healthcare. Black women do not receive the same level of medical care as white people, as demonstrated by the story of Christopher Chrissy. After experiencing intense pain for 22 weeks, she was unable to receive adequate medical care, despite the best efforts of her doctor. This is an example of systemic racism in healthcare, and highlights the urgent need for change.

“ليس هناك تفوق للعربي على غير العربي ، ولا لغير العربي على العربي. لا هو الأبيض متفوقة على الأسود ، ولا هو الأسود متفوقة على الأبيض إلا عن طريق التقوى.”

-النبي محمد

Prophet Muhammed

5 1 vote
Jonnirah
March 23, 2023 10:28 pm

I like how you mentioned skin doesn’t equal superiority, these are prime examples of discrimination. How can we as people create change regarding the unfair privileges given to white people?

Kamya
March 23, 2023 1:17 pm

The woman in the art looks so real and the song has a really strong message

Ebenezer
March 23, 2023 12:26 am

The addition of Arabic is beautiful

Abeer
March 22, 2023 11:48 pm

Wonderful title and I really liked how you included the prophet hadith in your post. So when you speak of the need for a change, what ways do you think we could make this change happen?

4
0
()