Sebastian
September 4, 2022 3:57 am

Dear Ny’Aira:

I am impressed by your piece, “What if Dick Rowland Could Tell His Side of the Story?” because the Tulsa Race Massacre has stuck with me since the first time I learned about it. Simply put, it was very interesting to see someone put themselves in a mindset of Rowland to write a piece that represents how he felt. I really like the way you portrayed the fact that he was unjustly treated by the Oklahoma police.

A sentence you wrote that really resonated with me was, “i tried using my only weapon i had to use was my mouth.” I think this is a really powerful way to describe the injustice that Rowland as well as countless other POC have experienced throughout the history of the United States. Describing a voice as a weapon really pushes two ideas, a pro, and a con. The pro is that you should never feel hopeless because you are always armed with a voice, it simply depends on how you communicate. The con however is that this weapon requires others to take up their own weapon to be most effective; though this may also be seen as a positive seeing as it sheds light on the idea that strength in numbers makes anything possible.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because from reading this, it is clear to me that you have a creative, but just voice. Seeing that people acknowledge injustice and use that terrible history to create creative pieces like yours to send a message is very encouraging; makes me think that hopefully more people will remember that acknowledging the injustices that occurred in our history will help us fight injustice today.

Sebastian Estrada

Raniyah
February 25, 2022 6:02 pm

I liked how deeply she portrayed the voice of Dick Rowland and how it was to be a black man and not be heard. I also like the connections she made of what the state/ white mobs thought of the situation, and differing theirs from her point of view. I like how she made it more about her point of view(Dick Rowland) but still connected it to how society viewed it and how they were wrong. I also liked how she connected to the person who did believe her. This was very powerful! I also liked the ending when she asked she should be able to speak up about what she believed in because it make me connect back to him not having a voice and how they immediately believed the white woman and did the massacre. And how even though he is black, his voice still matters! And how we as African-American people matter and what we believe in also matters.

2
0
()