Restorative Justice is the commitment to build a beloved and loving community that is sustainable and growing.

We know that if you knock down someone’s block building, you have to help them rebuild it, you can’t just say, “Sorry,” and walk away.  Another way to say that is restorative justice, and it’s the idea that we have to help people when something happens to them, even if it was by accident.” (Garcia)

We work vigorously for freedom and justice for Black people and, by extension, all people. (BLM)

We intentionally build and nurture a beloved community that is bonded together through a beautiful struggle that is restorative, not depleting. (BLM)

Empathy is one’s ability to connect with others by building relationships built on mutual trust and understanding.  

“It’s so important to think about how other people feel because different people have different feelings.  Sometimes it helps to think about how you would feel if the same thing that happened to your friend happened to you.  Another way to say that is empathy.”(Garcia)

We practice empathy. We engage comrades with the intent to learn about and connect with their contexts. (BLM)

Loving Engagement is the commitment to practice justice, liberation and peace.

“It’s so important to make sure that we are always trying to be fair and peaceful.  We have to keep practicing this so that we can get better and better at it.  Another way to say that is loving engagement.” (Garcia)

We embody and practice justice, liberation, and peace in our engagements with one another. (BLM)