Youth Voices
Youth Voices
Big Friendships Book Review
/

I am big on friendships, so when I saw the book, Big Friendship How We Keep Each Other Close, by Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman on the bookstore shelves, it seemed only fitting to buy it. I love this book, it’s awesome. I am about a quarter through and it has already helped me to dive deep into some of my closest friendships. I would definitely recommend this book to people who love learning about relationships. The book starts off in the present as the authors have had their rough spots in their friendship. It then jumps back to when they met, which happened to be at a Gossip Girl binge party. Every move they made up to that moment led them to each other. Little did they know they would become best friends. This book discusses the good and the bad of many kinds of friendships. Big Friendships matches facts with stories that make it easy for the reader to relate. The writing style is the perfect speed for a teen audience. It draws the reader in with specific language and through writing from many different perspectives. They say things like, “we love watching people glow up together,” making the reader feel as if they are the third best friend. For me, this book has helped me to figure out some of my closest friendships. Though my friendships look nothing like that of Aminatou and Ann’s I am still able to learn more about them. I have been able to reach out to friends to fix things. Most importantly, this book has helped me to reach out to friends to tell them I love them, which I feel is something every reader of this story should want to do. I highly recommend Big Friendships to anyone who wants to dive deep into the meaning of their own. I love learning about people and this book is perfect for that. If you read this story, plan on wanting to tell your best friends you love them.

0
()