Youth Voices
Youth Voices
Be Comfortable In Your Own Body
/

I believe that everyone isn’t comfortable in their own body. One person might think that their body isn’t the perfect shape. Another person might say to themselves: “I’m too fat” when they are just not “model skinny.” Someone else might think “I’m not tall enough” or “I’m too short.” The truth is: they shouldn’t really care about that. It makes them unique. For however uncomfortable they maybe be, someone else could think “I wish I had that body” instead of their own. At the end of the day, they should be comfortable in their own body because it’s the only one they have.

Even though I believe we should all be comfortable, sometimes I struggle with my own body image. When I was young, I was super skinny. It got to the point where I got bullied for looking like a stick, so I wanted to put a stop to it. I decided to gain weight. When I did, it was all okay for a couple months until everyone started tease me for being too fat. That when on for about 3 years until I developed  eating disorders (bulimia & binge eating disorder). To this day, I still have it and it’s not something I can control.

What triggers my binge eating is when I’m bored or having free time in my hands so I continue to eat and eat even if I’m full. I have tried to fight the urge to overeat, but it’s like a switch that turns on and off. Once I start, I can’t stop, even if I’m full. The more free time I have, the more often it happens. I think if I stayed active or kept myself busy, I wouldn’t have so many opportunities for this kind of behavior, but the fact is, I just get bored.

It’s hard for me to feel “okay” with my body but when I do, I just don’t feel okay I feel great. Amazing I feel over the top and that’s when i know i didn’t go over eating and i had a good work out session. A message I can tell someone who is going through the same thing I am is to talk someone get help because you are not going through this alone you have people to help out

September 26, 2022 4:33 am

Dear sagrario :
I am happy with your post, “ Be Comfortable in your own body,” because this is something that sadly a lot of people struggle with. I’m so sorry that you also felt that way at a point in your life.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Another person might say to themselves: “I’m too fat” when they are just not “model skinny.” Someone else might think “I’m not tall enough” or “I’m too short.” ” I think this is sadly true  because there is always someone that tells you that your to this and your to that which is sad because this is one of the reasons that people don’t ever feel happy in their body. There is always going to be someone that tries to bring you down which is sad.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I know that with this post you are helping people out and letting them know that they are not alone and that there’s always someone that they can go to for help. Can’t wait to see what you write about next.
Magdalena 

December 6, 2019 1:23 am

Hey Sagrario. I am sorry that you have struggled with this. I think it is absolutely terrible that people shammed you for your body. Everyone is beautiful in their own ways. It is hard to be happy when others are bringing you down. I found some sources that show why you should love yourself. Do not let others bring you down girl. You are beautiful. You are you and for that, you should love yourself no matter what others say.
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/15-reasons-to-love-yourself

This is such a common issue, especially for teens. I believe that if we were all a little kinder to one another, there would be less circumstances where this happens. Bringing others down to build yourself up is not the answer. Keep being you. You are gorgeous.

Ruth
April 29, 2019 10:10 pm

I think that how we feel about our bodies will always be a struggle, I like how you put your own struggle with body image and I would like to know more about it. My question to you is how has body image changed in your opinion in today’s society?

Abi
Abi
March 12, 2019 5:04 pm

Yes, a lot of people have struggled with this. Body image can be very difficult for some people and it honestly sucks not be comfortable in your own skin. But you are correct we only have one body for the rest of our lives so we mine as well love it as much as we can! Although I am sorry to hear about the eating disorders you have struggled with, tell yourself that you are beautiful through all the other voices that say otherwise. Everyone is beautiful in their own way and at the end of the day our body shapes or skin tone is just a shell, it does not define who we are as a person. On a side note, you have very clear and understandable reading, keep up the great work! And I wish you the best!

Saheth
March 12, 2019 4:01 pm

I disagree with this point of view. I believe that being unhappy with current circumstances is not a problem, in fact I think it is a solution. I think that being unsatisfied is part of human nature. Being unsatisfied is a driving force for innovation and improvement. Think about an athlete who competes in the Olympics. The athlete wishes they are stronger, leaner and faster in order to get first place, so to achieve that goal the athlete trains and trains but now imagine the athlete gave up and said “I’m fine with how I am now and I don’t want to work hard and become better, I don’t want to change because I am body confident.” This mentality is not going to win any medals, instead it will hold the athlete back from reaching their full potential. In summary what I am trying to say is never be happy with where you are at, always strive for more or else you will never improve.

5
0
()