Utah, along with many other Republican states, have been trying to censor the youth from certain topics.  In fact, according the ACLU website, “censorship of discussions about race, gender identity, and sexual orientation continues happening in schools, books on the same topics are targets for challenges and bans in public schools and libraries right here in Utah,” (ACLU, 2021). This horrendous trend has continued spreading in the US because of legislators’ want to protect the younger generation from what’s being called “dangerous ideas.” These ideas are typically related to how legislators determine moral principles, “including a great deal of the founding literature of Black studies and other sources that provoke discussions that offer a remedy to racial injustice,” (Giroux, 2021). As you can see, most of these “dangerous ideas” are related to socially progressive ideas like racism and LGBTQ+ history. For example, books by Toni Morrison, which typically involve discussing racism and the horrors of it, are being banned because legislators don’t want kids to internalize it and feel guilty. The problem in this is that it’s shielding the youth from topics they need to learn about, so history doesn’t repeat itself again.

0
()