silver round pendant on white and red textile

Humankind is inherently corrupt as one can interpret as a witness of this world’s wicked society containing people that choose to benefit themselves instead of the common good. Even in Catholicism, Adam and Eve, the first two humans, partook in a scandal with the devil that they believed would benefit them rather than having perfect communion with God. The Fall archetype was then born highlighting humankind’s common desire for personal gain through disruption of the common good. Nowadays the world runs on money, consequently, humans are so easily swayed by its presence. Corruption is inevitable when it comes into play because money always makes a financially-positive effect in one’s life.

With that in mind, the common swindling and money-grabbing within politics is a perfect example of people doing anything for money, even though they already have much more than the average individual. President Ulysses S. Grant is part of this continuous performance of manipulation. He already had money and power as the President of the United States of America, however this power opened up more criminal opportunities that Grant was able to benefit financially from. He did not participate in only one disgraceful event but a multitude. Consequently, his presidential term came to be known as “Grantism” (Cohn 18). President Grant’s most notorious scandal was the whiskey ring he ran from 1871 to 1875. He profited approximately $3 million, which is worth $63.7 million today (Cohn 17).

Not long ago, “Oscar Wilde once said: ‘Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing’” (Jeffries 12). Corruption has always and will always be present in the world. Society right now values money more than anything. It is sad that one cannot make it big without money. Stuart Jeffries commented on money’s effect on corruption stating, “Money has become for us what beer was for Homer Simpson – the cause of and solution to all of our problems. Can we make it just the solution? It seems unlikely,” emphasizing the control and total influence money has over all of society (Jeffries). In addition, once one makes it big they gradually become greedier and further tempted by all the opportunities to make more money whether or not it is legal. Money means power and power means more money which creates a never ending staircase of corruption that requires sacrifice of one’s morals and dignity just to go up one more step.

Cohn, Scott. “Meet America’s Most Crooked Politicians.” CNBC, CNBC, 28 July 2016,
www.cnbc.com/2016/07/28/meet-americas-most-crooked-politicians.html.

Jeffries, Stuart. “Money Has Corrupted Us. We No Longer Understand What It’s Worth.” The
Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 1 Jan. 2014, www.theguardian.com/money
/2014/jan/01/money-corrupted-us-understand-worth.

Yan
September 28, 2021 5:55 am

Corruption is inevitable when it comes into play because money always makes a financially-positive effect in one’s life.” I agree with your statement completely. I really like how you explain the chain effect of the money and power one gets, the more greedy one becomes. It just turns into bad circulation. Your example of President Ulysses S. Grant makes your statement even more compelling. https://www.ifac.org/knowledge-gateway/building-trust-ethics/discussion/when-corruption-becomes-way-life-and-what-do-about-it, an article relates to your topic with some extended context that might be helpful.

September 24, 2021 5:39 pm

This post portrays the exact problem with greed in the world today. “Money means power and power means more money which creates a never ending staircase of corruption…” This quote describes the exact reason why money is such an issue that can never go away. Everyone needs money in order to survive, but once money becomes the most important objective in your life, you lose sight of your morals and dignity as a human. The link posted below goes into depth of how money can change the way you think. I really enjoyed your thoughts within this post and hope to read more like this.

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_money_changes_the_way_you_think_and_feel

September 24, 2021 2:27 pm

I think you did a really great job at incorporating a more unknown piece of history in your blood. Most people are not aware of Grant’s corruption, but you exoplanet it very well and used pieces of evidence that further the explanation. I think that since you added a small section about the Bible you could either elaborate on it further or remove it.

3
0
()