I’ve chosen to study the Australian brush fires, and global warming. Global warming is going to affect me for the rest of my life, so I’d like to know as much as I can about how I can help. Fires have been burning for months now burned nearly 18 million acres. This burning is destroying habitats for animals that take residence only in these areas which means that multiple species are on the verge of extinction. Along with that these fires are not going to get better since our climate is worsening at its the main cause of these extreme conditions.Climate change only worsens the conditions for fires and droughts only make for more intense fires and longer fire seasons. “A large oceanic temperature gradient, the Indian Ocean Dipole, affects weather in East Africa and Australia. And how climate change could make this season’s disastrous weather the new norm.” says Vox videos, they are basically explaining to us how this directly relates to global warming and what proof we’ve obtained. Basically there is an area in the indian ocean that we’ve been tracking called the IOD. it’s been known that when the ocean is moved in certain directions it shifts the atmosphere in both Africa and Australia, if the heat moves towards one place then it creates an excess of water and rain (the current floods in africa) and so therefore it’s cold on the other side cause large droughts which have led to Australia’s largest fires yet. 

Currently for the fires the US has sent firemen to Australia and people are donating money to help in all ways, however for years people have been trying to solve global warming. Unfortunately, it requires each and every person’s help and acknowledgement before we’re going to make any drastic changes.So we want to make sure there is scientific fact proving it and add more of the emotional part to tug at heartstrings.We want to bring awareness so we’re just going to talk about what’s happening in Australia to the animals, people, and environment. We also included photos that show what’s happening rather than just saying it is. We do however have a small solution that has been around for years and will help not necessarily prevent but regulate situations similar to this one. “The Aboriginal people would set small-scale fires that weren’t too intense and clear the land of the extra debris. The smaller intensity fires would lessen the impact on the insects and animals occupying the land, too, as well as protect the trees and the canopy.” In our actual artifact we didn’t use this as a solution since it probably wouldn’t be helpful if a whole bunch of random people started doing this, it needs to be skilled professionals who know what they’re doing so we leave that to those who are in charge and from the sidelines we will just bring awareness. 

For further research I’m going to try to keep up with the new information thats flooding in. I think this project is hard to do at the moment and will get easier as the fires slow down. I’m also going to keep up with the IOD to see if other weird things happen there similar to this. I will obviously also keep up with similar events that are occurring around the globe and help bring awareness to them.

Parvaneh, Danush, et al. “Why Australia’s Fires Are Linked to Floods in Africa.” Vox, Vox, 17 Jan. 2020, www.vox.com/videos/2020/1/17/21069394/australia-fires-floods-africa-iodAsmelash, Leah. “Australia’s Indigenous People Have a Solution for the Country’s Bushfires. And It’s Been around for 50,000 Years.” CNN, Cable News Network, 12 Jan. 2020, www.cnn.com/2020/01/12/world/aboriginal-australia-fire-trnd/index.html

January 6, 2021 1:25 pm

This article was a great piece at explaining how to help with global warming and the Australian bush fires. Isa did a really good job at explaining in detail what happened and solutions that can help us change. Overall this piece was great.

January 6, 2021 1:05 pm

This article did a great job at explaining details of the bush fires and how to focus on climate change in general. I think the most important part of improving climate change is convincing the people that it is a necessary problem with an obvious solution. This requires that we actually know in detail what climate change is doing exactly to us, and what is the best possible plan to stop it.

Annabella Joy
January 6, 2021 2:55 am

I really enjoyed this piece. I agree that it is very important to bring awareness to the climate crisis and stay updated on environmental issues. I really appreciated how you made this a personal story, stating that you will be dealing with these issues for the rest of your life. More people need to be considering this and making it a priority to do as much as they can to help the planet heal.

January 5, 2021 10:52 pm

I really enjoyed this article but the first claim really set it up for me. Global warming truly is going to affect everyone as long as we live and it will only benefit us to learn more about it. It is also so crazy to see how these wildfires spiral out of control and can really affect other things. Like how the heat that is created can affect the weather in the direction to Africa. Solving and containing these fires is so vital to humanity and I think the more we grow and get older we will know more to stop these tragic fires.

January 5, 2021 9:57 pm

I appreciate your post over this issue. The Australian bush fires is only one of many fires around the world. This is a serious matter and I am glad that you mentioned how people can come together to find a solution to not only fires, but climate in general. You are right to say that although other countries did help Australia with the fires such as sending firemen, we need to take this more seriously. I agree that each and every person must contribute to climate change especially those in higher powers. We need the entire world’s leaders to come together and formulate a plan that everyone will follow to help ourselves and species and out planet.

January 5, 2021 7:43 pm

What is crazy to me is that everyone thought that this would be one of the most important events of the year but boy were we wrong.

January 5, 2021 4:24 pm

Thank you for bringing attention to climate change and its effects on the Indian ocean dipole and its detrimental impact. It is as you said going to take every single person’s acknowledgment and direct action to combat the climate crisis. It is imperative that we do something about it now as it will only get worse and more of the environment will be destroyed. This will cause more and more species to become endangered as they are impacted the most by habitat destruction. 2020 has definitely been eye-opening which for better or worse will make people start to pay attention to how we are affecting our world. I’m glad to see that you are planning on keeping up with the continued change.

January 5, 2021 2:37 pm

This post was very much needed if you are looking back on 2020 and seeing all of the concerns or problems that we had in this year. The wild fires were a huge issue and were taking a big toll on Australia and even affecting other countries with the smoke. Thankfully, like you said, our nation and others sent many firefighters and supplies and money to Australia to help them fend off the fire. I also agree that global warming is a huge problem and that everyone needs to do their part in helping to environment become a better place. Our world will continue to degrade every year past 2020 if we do not realize that we need to make a change.

Bella
February 17, 2020 4:58 am

Isa,
Thank you so much for writing this post. I agree, these wildfires have been a consistent problem in Australia that needs immediate action. The wildfires are a direct effect of global warming which has become an international problem that needs the participation of everyone. Global warming is an issue that affects so many things on Earth: from humans, to plants, animals and the environment. It is crucial that everyone does their part to create sustainable lifestyles that emit less waste. I am glad that you are engaging in further research on this matter and I’m looking forward to seeing your other findings.

Good luck with your studies!
Bella

9
0
()