I am applying for the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards, and my submission requires an artist’s statement.

My portfolio showcases my visual investigation of my personal emotional states of being. I use abstract imagery and words that correspond to an emotion felt in specific states to illustrate my concentration. I, like many artists have found an emotional release through the visual arts. This series of gestural pieces has been a source of immense growth, both personally, as well as artistically. This investigation was (and is) important to me because it gave me a healthy outlet, and sparked a dialogue between myself and anyone who looked at my work. I hope that my work can continue to create a dialogue, both internally in viewers such as critics and other artists, as well as externally, among viewers’ friends and family. I hope that the pieces I’ve created for my concentration inspire or influence someone in the future, regardless of whether that viewer possesses artistic talent. I want viewers to be able to relate to my work. If they can not relate, then I want my work to move them to new thoughts or ideas. This scholarship has been a creative stepping stone for me, allowing me to expand my knowledge and learn new techniques to improve my work, and better myself as an artist.

0
()