My Shadow box represents the dominant and counter narrative of my identity as a Muslim, Middle Eastern, Arabic speaking woman from Yemen.

On the outside I decided to put a picture of a woman doing the housework and taking care of the kids because the dominant narrative of my gender and cultural identity is that women can’t work. This dominant narrative impacts me because my mom fits this narrative, and I don’t  want to be that narrative. I also added two  picture that shows a woman wearing a hijab and one that isn’t because the dominant narrative is that Muslim women can and can’t show their hair.

This dominant narrative impacts me because in middle school there were these people that always asked me “why do you cover your hair when other Arabic people don’t,” and I said that there were some Muslims that don’t cover their hair and some they do.

On the inside of my shadow box, I decided to put two pictures of Yemen and one picture of the Yemen flag. I put this in my shadow box because it represents the place I was born. I also included my art project because I’m an artist and it’s part of my identity and counter narrative. Art is my passion and it helps express who I am. Art is very important to my identity. When people look at me they don’t think of me as an artist. I also added a picture of me and my sister as a kid in Yemen and a hot Korean guy from a Manhwa that I read.

March 16, 2022 6:41 am

Dear Alaa,
I am excited to learn the ways that art may help you express yourself or represent yourself. One sentence that stands out to me is in the beginning when it says, “My Shadow box represents the dominant and counter narrative of my identity as a Muslim, Middle Eastern, Arabic speaking woman from Yemen” because this really gives the reader a better understanding of your background. Thus can help see the connection with ar that helps you express yourself.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I think it is interesting to learn about different cultures. I also look forward to what you write next because I also like art and also look for new ways to do things which can be shown as an expression.

February 9, 2022 8:55 pm

Dear Alaa:

I am captivated by, your post, “Art helps me express who I am,” because it is impressive how all artists can express their great being inside with just one painting. I like knowing that you are also an expressive person, that you can show your feelings without having to speak because your hands speak for yourself.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Art is my passion and it helps me express who I am. Art is very important to my identity.” I think this is fantastic because we have one more person in our world who can captivate us with his great talent.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because I would like you to share with us more works of art made by you. Also, I think you can talk a little more about what art really caught your attention, maybe if you make many people who still haven’t discovered their artistic side, they can discover it with your anecdotes.

Jenifer

Sayra
January 31, 2022 4:06 pm

Dear Alaa,
I am amazed by your post it is great that art helps you express who you are. Knowing about a person through art is truly inspiring. I love how creative art can be.

This part stood out to me ¨ Art is my passion and it helps express who I am. Art is very important to my identity¨ I agree with this art can be expressed in many different ways and it’s truly amazing to use it for self-expression.

January 18, 2022 3:25 am

Dear Alaa,

I am amazed by your post, “Art helps me express who I am,” because it allows people to know who you are. Sharing your culture and letting people know that art is so much more for you is amazing.

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is “On the outside I decided to put a picture of a woman doing the housework and taking care of the kids because the dominant narrative of my gender and cultural identity is that women can’t work.” In the following sentence you stated that you don’t want to fit in this narrative and I agree. As someone who has heard these things before, many don’t believe that women can do more than just housework and take care of the kids. In a way I feel like it motivates us to break this nartative and prove them wrong.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it’s great to hear people talk about their identity especially the things that help motivate them.

Jennifer

January 11, 2022 10:09 pm

Dear Alaa,

I am amazed by your post, “Art helps me express who I am,” because it helps your express who you are in your own way. I think this is amazing how art is able to help someone express who they really are.

One sentence that you wrote that stood out for me was: “My Shadow box represents the dominant and counter narrative of my identity as a Muslim, Middle Eastern, Arabic speaking woman from Yemen.” I think this helps people get to know you are your culture more.

Thank you for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it helps express and show your identity. I liked how you explained how art helps you. People use different ways to express themselves and art is a great way to do that.

Lesly

December 14, 2021 10:39 pm

Dear Alaa,

I am amazed by your post, “Art helps me express who I am”, because it tells me how everyone uses art in different ways. I think it is amazing how much art can make a difference.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Art is my passion and it helps express who I am. Art is very important to my identity.” I think it is pleasing how much art has helped you to express yourself.

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because it seems as though you have a lot to say about yourself. I would like to continue knowing how much art has helped you to express yourself.

-Sophia

Last edited 5 months ago by Sophia

6
0
()