blue Art neon sign turned on

Art has played a role in most people’s lives in one way or another. And there are always these conversations about what is considered art and what is not.

What do you consider art?

I am wondering this because I am an artist, and I am also the art editor for my school’s lit mag. And we are getting art submissions from students to put into the book, and I just want to know what you consider a good piece of art.

I tend to look at art differently from those that do not make art. So I hope that I can help those in my staff have a better understanding of the art they are seeing.

For example, do you consider things like modern art, art?

What about digital art, comics, music, or photography?

No matter how you look at it, everyone has a different opinion about what is art, and what is not.

So I am wondering what do you consider art? And where is the line drawn for you about what is not art?

Jennifer
Jennifer
March 13, 2021 9:15 am

Dear Tara,
I am so pleased about your piece, “Art” because people have different perspectives of what they initially considered a form of art. Answering these questions is great because literally, everyone’s response will be different. One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is, “What do you consider art?” I think this is powerful because this simple question of what people consider art is a whole conversation starter for what people think. It also is great to hear what people think because in a way it’s their personality that expresses what type of art they enjoy. Thank you for writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I want to hear you talk about the different perspectives of art. I want to hear about what you consider art.

Zoe
December 4, 2020 9:03 pm

Hi Tara!
I really enjoyed reading your insight on this topic, you bring up a really good point that art can mean many different things depending on the person. I personally think art can be anything you want it to be, but I believe really good art is shown when it can be left up to interpretation. I love when a piece of art can mean one thing for one person, and mean something completely different for another. Good art can often be more of a reflection of the person who is viewing it based on how they interpret it rather than the artist themself. Thanks for brining this discussion up, I thought it was really interesting!

December 4, 2020 8:57 pm

I think this is a great question Tara because everyone has a different answer. Art to me is anything with creative elements in it. Whether it is ceramics, paintings, writings, poetry, etc. I think art is all around us it is just perceived differently by each person.

December 4, 2020 3:06 am

Honestly I see art as a way to express yourself through the use of those things you mentioned. Anything from photography, painting, music, dance, etc. Art can be so meaningful. It is truly something beautiful.

Mia
December 3, 2020 8:59 pm

I really like this question Tara. The definition of art to me is quite complex. I feel like art has to have meaning behind it or require a certain level of skill. I consider myself an artist because I do ceramics. Although not all of my pieces have meaning behind them, just creating them in the first place takes skill. It is hard to learn and even harder to master. When it comes to modern art, I do not consider all of it art. A lot of modern art does not take serious skill or effort. I feel like modern art has to have meaning or it isn’t art. Digital art, comics, and photography are all art in my opinion. Digital art is hard to do and takes a skilled brain to create. Comics are creative expressions and photography is about finding beauty in every day things, which takes creativity in my opinion.

December 3, 2020 8:46 pm

This is a cool perspective Tara. I like how you think about all different things and what people might consider art. I think that art is something created by someone that shows and style that they want to represent.

6
0
()