In the article “When are you really an adult?” by Patricia Smith and Veronica Majerol is that in America at 18 you are considered adult but there are certain activities  that you can be enabled to do. At the age of 18 is when you are able to drive, vote, be on jury, and can volunteer to serve for the military. When you’re 21 you are allowed to drink and gamble in certain states. Not all states have the same laws on the things you can do when being an adult. For example, in Alabama and Nebraska you are considered an adult at the age of 19, in mississippi you are considered an adult at the age of 21, and in other states you are considered an adult when you graduate from high school. To be legally allowed to drive in America is from 16-21. Some argue why driving a car is the first thing you can do since it can be very dangerous when you aren’t careful. Others say that for kids it’s a need to get a car and be able to drive it since we are all now so dependent on having cars. But if you’re a minor and you get into an accident it falls on your parents, if you’re not it falls on you.  If you’re under 18 and you commit a crime the courts go easy on you and your records can be erased. On the other hand if you’re 18 or older you can be sent to the adult criminal justice system, you have a sentence to serve and your record cannot be erased. It’s also harder to get a job, buy a house, and you are unable to vote. For being drafted, when you turn 18 and you are a man you have to register and if you don’t you would have to pay a fine, serve time, be denied of student loans and driver license. To vote in elections you would need to be 18 and over the years there are many that want the voting age to lower. Others say that it’s not needed since young voters don’t participate in voting. 

I think when you turn 18 you gain this freedom and a push to the adult world. At 18 you go to college, you have a job, and you learn to be independent. In my opinion I think you’re an adult when you’re 18. Even though you aren’t legal to drink you are punished severely when you commit a crime that can affect your life. You no longer are treated like a child anymore and  there is no one that is going to hold your hand.

Are you considered an adult when you turn 18? 

I agree that the age of 18 is the official mark of adulthood based off your points, that you can drive, vote, be enlisted into the military, be on a jury, etc. I feel that the drinking and gambling age limit should be on the same level because if they started to be treated like an adult at the age of 18, you deserve all the adult rights that are given with it. Do you think that the age of adulthood should be raised or lowered?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/18/us/usa-legal-age.html

Hey Heidi, I love what you said about being a adult when you turn 18 but are we really? My opinion is if you still live with your parents your not a adult. You go to college and parents send you money for food etc… your not a adult. Yea you will generate money working but honestly a minimum wage job aint going to cut it for you as a student. For me a adult is when someone doesn’t need any help from there family and is able to be stable for the rest of their life. A adult is someone who is old enough to care for themselves rather than having someone care for them.

andres
andres

Dear Heidi
I am very interested and impressed to know that being 18 is not just a privilege it also comes with more responsibilities. Your are 18 and are now allowed to do more however you can get in trouble with the law a lot more. I am glad you mention this information.

one sentence that stood out to me was “I think when you turn 18 you gain this freedom and a push to the adult world. At 18 you go to college, you have a job, and you learn to be independent.this is interesting for me because I turned 18 and it’s a lot scarier now because you are 18 years old and have all these new responsibilities.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I liked how you related to atopic that is relative to the viewers. a lot of people reading are around the age and they will have this info to reflect on.
Andres Tristan

Estefani

Dear Heidi, I agree with you say in your article about are you considered an adult when you turn 18? For me if you are considered an adult when you turn 18 because you can look for a job and you can start to depend on yourself even if you have a family. Also if you are studying you can have a job at the same time you study when you are 18 years old. I like when you said ”you are severely punished when you commit a crime that can affect your life” because they will no longer treat you like a child and they will treat you as an adult whether you are or not. I believe that are you saying is the reality of life and that for me young people of 18 years old less we would have to behave like adults.

Thanks for write. I hope to read your next discussion because I really liked your article and would like to read more of your articles.

Levi

Turning 18 is officially becoming and adult, but I feel like most 18 year old don’t feel ready to become adults, I’ve seen my 2 brothers and my sister become 18 and they all seemed rather scared of the thought. I like when you said “you are punished severely when you commit a crime and that can affect your life. You no longer are treated like a child anymore” because 18 is the turning point whether the person is ready for it or not.

5
0
()