Are you a true American? Most of you reading this might have never thought about it. So what does it mean to be an American you ask? Well it depends on your perspective. What I think being American means is that Americans have responsibilities that should help fellow Americans and America to be better and not for selfish reasons. I think the belief of a true American is that we are created equal as the Declaration of Independence states that “all [people] are created equal”(US 1776). Equality is not the only American value since there are many other values of being an American. Some American values include Individualism, being responsible on their own, and equality where all men and women are created equal, and future and progress which means Americans want to look forward and change than traditions as explained by University of Portland. 

This topic leads up to the question: What is the American Creed? After some research it seems that it is and I quote “I believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed, a democracy in a republic, a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies.” –Written 1917, accepted by the United States House of Representatives on April 3, 1918. 

The American Creed is all about the people and how the government should be for the people and that the people of America should be in unity. Now let’s talk about the final point of what it means to be an American: the American culture. Since America’s citizens have many immigrants, a lot of the culture is from multiple different cultures from different types of people. There is a wide variety or religion and language celebrated in America making America a “melting pot” of culture. Now it’s your turn, do you agree that these ideas make up the idea of what it means to be an American? Or do you think that what it means to be an American depends on each person’s perspective?

“American Values and Assumptions.” American Values and Assumptions | University of Portland, www.up.edu/iss/advising-services/american-values.html.

“The American’s Creed.” Ushistory.org, Independence Hall Association, www.ushistory.org/documents//creed.htm

Zimmermann, Kim Ann. “American Culture: Traditions and Customs of the United States.” LiveScience, Purch, 14 July 2017, www.livescience.com/28945-american-culture.html.

image_pdfimage_printPrint this page.

February 14, 2021 10:45 pm

I believe that values such as individualism define American ideals and values, however, they are often not available for every human being in this country. Minorities have to fight much harder to reach the level to achieve the ability to act on their individualistic rights to be successful and gain respect from their community.

November 16, 2020 5:43 pm

I agree to an extent. I believe in the values you defined to be true to the American idea are accurate, but with current immigrant statuses and laws in effect, being an immigrant makes it hard for me to consider myself an American. I am unable to vote, so I have no right to express my beliefs in what happens to make my say useless. Also, I have continuously tried and failed to get citizenship here so I cannot see that changing in the future.

Help on Youth Voices
2
0
()