In the article “Are Warning Labels on Unhealthy Foods a Good Idea?” is about two experts, Frances Fleming-Milici and Guy Bentley, giving their opinions whether to put warning labels on unhealthy foods or not.

Obesity rates have increased and many experts have a way to stop that. They want to put warning labels on food with high levels of sugar, salt, and fat. Many other countries have done this and many experts think that it is a good idea. Milci who is a food policy expert says that there should be warning labels on unhealthy foods because it can people would stop buying them. Companies’ packaging is chosen well so it can grab people’s attention to buy the product or think that it is healthy by including “all-natural.” At times that product may not be healthy when they claim that it is. The countries that do have warning labels have seen a decrease in the consumption of unhealthy foods. Milci believes that if there are warning labels that it can promote health safety and a decrease of consumption of unhealthy food.

On the other hand, Bentley disagrees. He believes that putting warning labels would not solve the problem. People already know what not to eat from doctors and experts and they don’t need the government telling them what not to eat. He claims that if you need to put a warning label on food that has too many calories then you should do it for every food such as pasta, bacon, steak, etc. Bentley has seen how Chile put warning labels on food and has seen that there has not been a decrease in the obesity rate, that it has been the same. He feels that if there are warning labels that the government would control our choices of food and would limit our freedom.

In my opinion, I don’t think that putting a warning label would help the solution. People know that eating too much soda or candy is bad but they still do it anyway. I think the only way to solve the problem is us, the people, by taking care of ourselves, having diets, or not consume certain foods. If people are obese then it is on them, they made their own choice of consuming unhealthy foods and not taking care of themselves. Do you think that the U.S. should put warning labels on unhealthy foods?

April 19, 2021 4:45 am

Dear Heidi,
I did not realize how a topic like this can be controversial. Although there are people out there trying to help those dealing with obesity , those same people are responsible for what they consume. Yes warning labels would seem like a reasonable thing to do i agree with the fact that people are aware of the foods that they should not consume. Although that might not be the best way to decrease obesity but there are many other ideas to decrease this problem.

March 29, 2021 3:59 am

Hello Heidi,
I found your post very interesting and I also agree with you. As mentioned obesity is a rising problem in the U.S., yet I think putting warning labels on unhealthy foods will only slightly educate some but not solve the problem. The fault falls on both companies and people, it’s a business and completion for companies and people make their own choices as well. Companies can look for ways to make their products healthier, yet I think they may lose sales as healthier products tend to be more expensive than unhealthy foods. I also think eating healthy tends to become a lifestyle and some people get tired of it and go back to their old unhealthy eating habits because it is less of a hassle and cheaper. At the end of the day, I feel like in order to minimize the obesity problem in the country we all need to work together. Thank you for writing Heidi, I hope to see more of your writing soon because your post brought an important issue to the table which needs to be more acknowledged before it gets too far and we can’t go back.
– Yamile

March 25, 2021 6:40 pm

Dear Heidi,
I impressed by your post “are warning labels on unhealthy foods a good idea?¨because I agree with you I don’t see the point in putting labels on unhealthy food. At the end of the day, people will eat what they want. i mean take my friend for example she eats an unhealthy amount of bacon every other day, she knows this but continues because she loves bacon. so you and I both agree that people already know eating unhealthy food isn’t the best for them but still do it anyway.
one sentence you wrote that stands out to me is ¨If people are obese then it is on them,¨ I think is well written because it shows your thought process.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I’m you’re a good writer and well put together in your explanations.
– Cynthia

3
0
()