Kevin Kruse talks about a Traffic Jam in Atlanta which could involve segregation or does it have a deeper meaning to it? Are Traffic Jams a secret message that shows us our oppression? This piece that consists of 3 paragraphs will dive deep into this question to shed light on the real reason for this “Traffic Jam.”

The article “Traffic Jam” discusses the underlying implications of segregation in Downtown Atlanta. Upon reading and researching this piece, I have gained insight into the factors that contributed to this segregation. According to Kruse, white individuals were solely focused on developing their own living spaces and neglected the needs of African Americans. They used manipulation and shame to prevent companies from assisting or improving the living conditions of Black individuals, resulting in the stereotype of living in the “Ghetto.” This was all due to the color of their skin, as they were seen as inferior and were purposely kept in impoverished areas. This issue has only perpetuated systemic inequalities and has been labeled as “structural racism.”

Entering the topic of structural racism, it has gone to show that in the mid 20th Century with more talk and works about the Interstate Highway System, this would lead to the destruction of many minority neighborhoods and the creation of physical barriers that isolated these communities economically and socially from more prosperous parts of cities. After analyzing and looking at the structure of Kruse’s argument, he puts a lot of evidence to first talk about how the blacks and whites were beginning to be separated before the highway was put in place. Now this isn’t surprising since we had slavery way before this and that’s why segregation was put in place causing highways to be put in between the races but secretly, trying not to draw too much attention to it. This minor picture of a “traffic jam” has brought up deep rooted issues that people try to forget what caused this and why.

My whole opinion on this piece as a conclusion is that even the way our cities are built have a lot to do with the issues that have been present in our country. We probably have more ways to prove why segregation and slavery have shaped our world into the way it is. This piece of evidence that is the article could be our first gateway into thinking and diving deeper into the roots of our society as a whole. I never even thought that segregation could still be a thing until I fell upon this photo, displaying segregation at its finests. It’s still happening all around us whether we know it or not and its truly a sad picture to see being painted. 

Jaden
April 5, 2024 4:27 am

Your analysis of the article shows that you have a good understanding of the complex historical factors that led to segregation in Downtown Atlanta. I like how you draw connections between historical events and current social challenges, emphasizing the systematic injustices’ ongoing importance. Your own insight into the continued existence of segregation gives your study a painful depth that highlights the subject’s psychological appeal. Good job Cam.

Iman
April 3, 2024 2:17 pm

Your research on the root causes of the “Traffic Jam” in Atlanta provides a moving look at the relationship between segregation and racist practices in urban areas. You effectively point attention to the intentional steps taken by white people to exclude and repress African Americans, hence maintaining structural inequities, by analyzing Kevin Kruse’s analysis. How the Interstate Highway System contributes to the continued segregation of minority areas, as you pointed out, emphasizes the connection between past injustices and current urban growth. Your analysis of the lasting effects of segregation and slavery encourages critical self-examination of the cultural norms that continue to influence our towns and cities. Overall, your analysis is a potent reminder of the continuous fight for racial equality and the importance of facing and eliminating structural inequalities that are ingrained in our culture.

2
0
()