brown monkey sitting on tree branch

Imagine if you lived in a city that was heavily populated with dogs? Cats? Lizards? Well some people are living with monkeys. The people of Lopburi, Thailand have been negatively affected because of this.

According to Upfront’s latest magazine issue, “When Monkeys Take Over”, Lopburi has always had monkeys around the area. The city was a well-known area to tourists who were attracted to monkeys. All was well until the Covid-19 pandemic hit. The monkeys were used to been fed by tourists, but no tourists going anymore, they had to adapt.

They began to go into the city of Lopburi to look for food. They had been eating junk food such as cookies, soda, and candy given to them by the tourists. And when they arrived at the city they expected the same behavior towards them. But they did not stop there. The monkeys became violent and began attacking some of the local people in the shops around the city. If they were not fed, they attacked. Now, in most of the cities, people live in fear. Because of the violent attacks, many were forced to close their own shops in fear of the future.

January 22, 2021 6:57 pm

Dear Diana:
I am surprised with your post, “Are monkeys taking over Thailand?” because the monkeys were living fine then got adapted to tourists giving them food. Now that covid hit bad they are also having trouble finding food. The monkeys are now coming to the city and being aggressive with all people.
One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: “Because of the violent attacks, many were forced to close their own shops in fear of the future.” I think this situation of the monkies is getting worse because people that live in the city of Lopburi are moving away.
Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next because it caught my interest.
-Rosa Zavala

January 19, 2021 4:54 am

Hey Diana,
I was excited and surprised about your post about monkeys. As reading the post I have come up with that they should make an organization here in America where they may bring monkeys and if you would like to adopt one that they should let us so that we may be responsible for it. I would like this because I love monkeys very much and they are just fun to be around.

I found it surprising how they were eating any types of foods that they would find which is very bad for their bodies. Monkeys will find a way to be fed during this time of the pandemic since there is no one out there watching over them. I’m feeling disappointed since they aren’t being taken care of and as well as them they are struggling with Covid-19.

-Shirley V

Ammaar
December 18, 2020 8:24 pm

Hey Diana, I found this post to be very interesting because seeing monkey in a city is not an everyday thing. I myself am interested in monkeys and wonder what it would be like living in a city populated with them

Mazda
December 18, 2020 3:45 pm

Hey Diana, I am surprised about your post because I have never really heard of city that’s getting over taken by monkeys. One thing that stood out to me in this post was the fact that the monkeys were attacking the civilians for food. I think that the city should learn from this and they should tell the tourists that they are banned from feeding the monkeys. They can also put up signs that says “DO NOT FEED MONKEYS.” I feel like that would be pretty helpful.

Zephyr
December 18, 2020 2:31 am

Hey Diana,
I am excited about your post because I like monkeys. I think it would be pretty cool if monkeys took over America. There probably wouldn’t be any more war then.

One thing that stands out to me is that they would feed the monkeys candy and soda. This makes me sad because the monkeys probably got sick from eating it. They should stick to a healthy diet and probably don’t know any better.

Looking forward to your next monkey post!

December 16, 2020 8:02 pm

Hey Diana, this post is very interesting! Maybe because this is very unusual to us, but I find it crazy how the monkeys became to adapt to the pandemic and then eventually started attacking people. I will be looking into this article and see what has happened ever since. Thank You for the interesting post !

December 16, 2020 9:14 am

Hey Diana, really funny post. I’m surprised to see that animals are also having problems with covid. Although I feel bad that the monkeys’ food supply has been cut off; I can’t help but chuckle at the thought of seeing a stray monkey walking down the street.

-Alvaro C.

7
0
()