1. Manzanita SEED is a bilingual school with the goal to give low income Latino, African-American, and Asian families a chance to provide their children with a “good” education. It got recognition and was awarded for closing the gap achievement.
  2. Manzanita School was created for low income kids a good education. It got recognition and was awarded for closing the gap achievement. This recognition that this school has received has caught the eye of many middle-class families.
  3. Because they are paying for the same education for their children, they see more convenient to send them to this school. This means that many families that live in East Oakland don’t get to register their children to the school on time because many of the middle class families already filled up the roster and consequently leave no room for the families that this school was meant to be teaching and helping.
  4. This recognition that this school has received has caught the eye of many middle-class families. Because they are paying for the same education for their children, they see more convenient to send them to this school. This means that many families that live in East Oakland don’t get to register their children to the school on time because many of the middle class families already filled up the roster and consequently leave no room for the families that this school was meant to be teaching and helping.
  5. Allowing more privileged families to join schools that are located in low-income communities is a problem because it is taking away the opportunity from low-income families to get a better education from the one they have accessible to them in their communities.
  6. https://via.hypothes.is/https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/09/07/gentrification-threatens-oaklands-few-truly-diverse-schools/

0
()