This poetry book makes me feel confident and inspired from the way it can grab your “insecurities” or lack of judgement, and create a brand new vision.  I appreciate it because of her go getter mentality. The way she speaks and puts it all together is wonderful. She can make something you thought was wrong, better.

It gives me self-assurance because of her continued self esteem, She’s pushing not only herself but us to “rise above society”/”the society one was brought up from”. 

One particular poem that gives me these emotions is “Phenomenal Woman,

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies. I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size but when U start to tell them, They think i’m telling lies. I say, It’s the reach of my arms, The span of my hips,

The stride of my step, The curl of my lips. I’m a woman Phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, That’s me I walk into a room just as cool as you please,” (This is only the beginning of the poem.)

I picked this poem because of the realization of who I am as a person, The way I’ve carried myself over the years, and the things I’ve learned to love. It speaks to me in every way. And my understanding gets better every time I read it. 

The word choice Maya used was giving be and look however you want. Embrace what is Yours. Don’t try and deny it. 

0
()