My first impressions of this poem were that Tupac really wants the world to change. It makes me feel intrigued, yet, at the same time, troubled. A line that especially intrigues me is, “Pull the trigger kill a nigga he’s a hero”, but troubled comes up when I read the lines “Give the crack to the kids who the hell cares”. Perhaps because he talks about police being a hero if they shoot someone and giving drugs to kids.

What I know about the situation is that Tupac is describing the problems of the white and black community in the U.S. What I know about the speaker is that they are the kind of person who cares about the world and wants it to change. This is suggested by the line “And let’s change the way we treat each other.” The speaker seems to be speaking to people living in America, and perhaps to everyone in the world. I say this because there have been problems in America involving race.  The poem springs from a particular historical moment like the War on Drugs. The poem revolves around several themes, including Change and Equality.

If this poem were a question, the answer would be he wants to fix all the problems .  If it were an answer, question would be why does he want to world to change? The title suggests he wants change.    

The poem’s form is a Lyric. This form is a vehicle for the content of the poem.  If the poem were a Ballad, it would not guide me toward an understanding of the poem’s meaning. If the poem was a ballad, it would not make sense with this poem since a ballad is a story that is similar to folklore or a legend. While this poem comes from a song involving real life problems.

Andrew
May 3, 2019 6:25 pm

Great analysis of his lyrics! I have always thought he stood out among all rappers as one of the greatest to ever do it. My favorite song is “dear mama”

1
0
()