The book I am reading is called An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena. This story is about how when the weather takes a turn for the worse and cuts off all electricity, the guests who are staying at the Mitchell’s Inn settle in for the long haul. Soon when one of the guests turns up dead then another one after that, the guests start to panic. What I have been thinking about my book since I read last is that this book quickly piqued my interest and I want to know what happens next in the story.

The book’s first paragraphs might leave a reader feeling intrigued because this story brings together people who don’t know each other but are now stuck in this cabin together trying to survive from an unwanted guest who is trying to murder the guests. An example of this is between minutes 34:05 and 34:32 in part 2 of the audiobook.  “Then Riley stops abruptly, a faint light coming in through the windows eliminates a gastly sight below her. Dana lies sprawled at the bottom of the stairs perfectly still, her limbs in an unnatural position beneath her navy satin robe. Her lovely dark hair spills all around her but her face has an unexplainable palor. She knows immediately that Dana is dead.” This is exciting because readers would want to read and find out what the characters do next to find out if this was an accident or if this was a murder and find out what happening to them.

So far, the plot in An Unwanted Guest might remind a reader of the story in another book,  Someone We Know. Both books are murder mysteries with plots driven by suspicion among the main characters, and both ask the same two questions: who killed her? and why? 

After this part of the book, most readers probably will be looking forward to reading the rest of this book because, just like me, they would want to know what happens next and how everyone will survive and what will happen at the end of the story. They would want to know who the murder is and their reasons for all the killings. What’s probably going to happen next is that they will realize that the deaths of the guests are not accidents, but murders and they will have to do their best to try to not get murdered and make it out alive.

1. Heather 1 week ago

Dear Ian,
    I am interested with your post because I like to read mystery books. I like the way you were able to describe the book to people who have not read the book yet. I’m interested to read this book.
    One thing you said that stands out for me is: “This is exciting because readers would want to read and find out what the characters do next to find out if this was an accident or if this was a murder and find out what happening to them.” I think this is interesting because it makes me wonder what happens. It seems as if it was a murder.
    Your post reminds me of something that happened to someone I know. One time They were walking there dog and they noticed that someone weird was following them for awhile so they decided to start running. The person following them also starts running which is really weird. The person stop following them when they got onto the main road.
    Thanks for your project. I look forward to seeing what you write next because I wonder what happens at the end of the book and how the author decides to end it.

2. Jayden Terry 3 weeks ago

What’s good Ian I like your post I think you did a good job explaining how the book excites you and what caught your attention also, you did a good job overall explaining what’s going on in the book and by just reading your post I felt hooked into the book without it actually in front of me. “The book’s first paragraphs might leave a reader feeling intrigued because this story brings together people who don’t know each other but are now stuck in this cabin together trying to survive from an unwanted guest who is trying to murder the guests.” This quote had me feeling really engaged because I wanted to read what came next and see if the characters made it out.