In the life of an average teenager, the worst problem they would face is not their phone dying, but really, the worst and most common issue of procrastination. Procrastination, to many, is being lazy or putting off a task until the last minute. To be completely honest, I am writing this article about procrastination along with: how to prevent it, the roots and causes, along with every other detail I am aware of about the topic, yet I still can’t prevent it. The definition of procrastination is a common misconception that makes no sense. The word procrastination is derived from the Latin verb procrastinare — to put off until tomorrow. The definition of procrastination is literally in the word, so what is it truly?

Procrastination is the deep psychological fear of failure. To put it simply, deep inside everyone, something is telling them all of the negative emotions associated with a task and therefore they don’t want to do it. The idea of putting things off is most common in people who are considered “perfectionists.”

The root cause of this issue for many people is that we don’t know how to regulate our emotions and manage them in a healthy way. Our brains see a problem, but don’t know how to solve it, so we bury it deep into a hole and forget about it, or shove it to the side. For example, a challenging assignment will easily get put off. While some might say, well no, it is laziness because I would much rather go on my phone rather than think about writing a paper,congratulations, first of all, you are self-aware, but secondly, scrolling on your phone is easy- writing an essay? Not so much. See a lot of times we think we are lazy creatures that would rather rot away eating chips or watching television, but really we want to avoid partaking in a “threatening” task. If one truly believes their procrastination is due to laziness then it no longer is procrastination, but rather being a lazy person.

As someone with huge standards set by not only them, but also their parents, procrastination has become a part of my daily life. My goal in writing this is to combat my own procrastination as I sit here at midnight writing this article. Procrastination is an endless cycle that makes a person feel bad, yet they continue to put off the task until eventually they are forced to do it, and have to face the dreaded. Despite this information being laid out in front of me and feeling like I have the secret recipe to put a halt to this endless cycle of guilt, I lack the key portion to putting an end to procrastination, the lack of procrastination.

The only way to truly end your procrastination is to just decide one day to stop procrastinating, getting rid of procrastinating. That sentence is confusing so let me explain. The only way to stop procrastinating is to wake up one day, on top of the world, and decide that you no longer want to procrastinate. That is the easy part, the hard part is actually doing it. If you are a chronic procrastinator, such as me, that is no easy task seeing as you have to face the problem before you can rid it.

While I wish procrastination was as simple as brushing one’s teeth, understanding the root cause being that people love to be perfect can help you avoid those negative emotions. It is a slow process that begins with failure, accepting failure, then finally you can beginning to tackle procrastination in itself. Picture a chef, first, they must learn to cut fruit, then make the dough, then finally they can assemble a high-quality pastry spread. It is baby steps that lead to success.

September 18, 2023 6:11 am

Dear Anya,

I am very fascinated by your post, “An article written at 11:59 at night,” because I love the honesty you give when expressing the real emotion and meaning behind procrastination. I truly appreciate the reality and emotion you give off when explaining how difficult it is to just stop. Especially, the way it brings so much more “awareness” to how procrastination isn’t laziness, it’s just some sort of fear.

One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is “The only way to truly end your procrastination is to just decide one day to stop procrastinating, getting rid of procrastinating.” I think this is very true, and even the way you proceed to explain what it really means and the true feelings and reality behind it. I agree with it being an “easier said than done” sort of process because it is true, that having to stop procrastinating is really the true way to stop procrastinating. However, having to truly go through with it is the part we tend to avoid, including myself!

Thanks for writing this article. I look forward to seeing what you write next because your honesty really allows me to feel welcomed and comfortable while reading your article. It is very relatable and can easily draw the audience’s attention, and I admire that.

Penelope

September 13, 2023 2:06 am

Dear, Anya:

I am very impressed by your post, ” An article written at 11:59 at night,” because I feel that your article draws so much attention to procrastination. Procrastination is something that a lot of us tend to do. We often don’t procrastinate because we’re lazy but mainly because we like to put things aside for later on. However, when it comes to procrastination is a fear for everyone I would say even myself.

One sentence that you wrote that stands out to me is: “Procrastination is the deep psychological fear of failure. To put it simply, deep inside everyone, something is telling them all of the negative emotions associated with a task and therefore they don’t want to do it. The idea of putting things off is most common in people who are considered “perfectionists.” I think this is awful because some people have a fear of procrastinating. Many people are used to doing everything in order or in their own way and if they miss something it stresses them. Most times we often feel like we won’t have enough time for something so we procrastinate, and we put it off.

Thanks for writing I look forward to seeing what you write next because I loved how your article focused on a fear that many people have a fear of. I think procrastination is an interesting topic to discuss because it is not often brought up. I think this is so because many are scared of failure but they are also scared of not being perfect. I would love to hear more of your thoughts on subjects like these.

Chloe

2
0
()