In the article “Written Among the Stars” ( Mcgraw Hill), I learned that asteroids have names. I found it interesting that this year a group of 27 asteroids between Mars and Jupiter will be named in honor of African American, Hispanic, and Native American Astronauts and cosmonauts. Two of the asteroids will be named after Stephanie D. Wilson and Joan Higginbotham both women made a huge contribution to space explorations. It is amazing that women astronauts are getting recognized for the hard work they have done. The 27 asteroids that have been discovered were named by the International Astronomical Union. To honor this diverse group of astronauts by naming asteroids after them was led by Cathy Olkin and Keith S. Noll of NASA.

Asteroids in the belt between Mars and Jupiter have been named after a diverse group of 27 astronauts who are trailblazers for their respective ethnicities. (ESA/NASA/collectSPACE)

I think that naming asteroids in honor of those who helped with space exploration is amazing. It must feel really good to know that all your hard work has paid off. I hope that in the future more hardworking and talented people get to have an asteroid named after them. Naming asteroids in honor of amazing people will

September 22, 2021 12:35 am

Dear Sayra,

I am surprised by your post “Among the Stars” because I knew that the stars (not all of them have names but some do) have names but I didn’t know that the asteroids have names too, that’s awesome.

One sentence that’s stands out for me is “27 asteroids between Mars and Jupiter will be named in honor of African American, Hispanic, and Native American Astronauts and cosmonauts” I think this is fair because they risk their life every day on the space without anybody that can help them from earth.

Thanks for your writing, I look forwards to see what you write next, mostly because I want to learn more about this theme, I like anything about the space and just thinking about it makes me imagine, How it will feel to be on the space? How difficult it will be to be an astronaut? As you were saying before.

Rolando Maciel

September 17, 2021 5:51 pm

Dear Sayra,

This was really interesting to read, and after thinking about it I’ve got a couple of questions for you. Do you know if the astronomy/space exploration field has similar gender inequality issues to other jobs? It would be really interesting to hear from these astronauts, mathematicians, engineers, etc. if they think they’re treated the same as their peers. Is astronomy a diverse field? Knowing the era of the first moon landing, I would assume only white male astronauts were allowed to go on missions.

I’d love to hear your responses to these and more.

-Charlie

September 17, 2021 5:49 pm

This is super interesting because I did not realize that they were naming them after “African America, Hispanic, and Native American astronauts and cosmonauts”. It’s so amazing to hear that there is going to be more representation of these groups within the stars or just recognition in general. I think that acknowledging more influential POC, in general, is a great step in the right direction for the nation and I would love to hear more about the representation.

September 15, 2021 7:10 am

Dear Sayra,

I am fascinated by your post, “Among the Stars” because I didn’t know that asteroids named, especially after real people. I found it very thoughtful the asteroids found in between Mars and Jupiter will be named after astounding astronauts.

One sentence that stood out to me was, “I hope that in the future more hardworking and talented people get to have an asteroid named after them.” This stood out to me because naming people that have done great things after asteroids is a good way to acknowledge them. I definitely think that people don’t often get recognition they deserve therefore, I think it’s good that there’s something that can be done for them to make them feel special and appreciated.

Thank you for your writing, I look forward to what you’ll be writing next because I know that I’ll be learning something new like I did after reading this post.
-Ashley

September 15, 2021 3:53 am

Dear Sayra,

I was very intrigued by your post about asteroids being named after these great astronauts. I find it so cool that people are getting a whole asteroid named after themselves, something I did not possibly think was even possible. A question I have is what made these people, decide to give the asteroids names?

Something that stood out to me about this post is that these asteroids were named after multiple people of different race, and also females. I say females because I know that a lot of times females don’t get the recognition they deserve for the great things they do and I know it feels good and special for them to receive the honor of having an asteroid named after them.

I am thankful that you wrote about this because I myself like to look into space things and facts about space and all those types of things. I actually never knew that their was a ring of asteroids surrounding the planets and that they had names, named after people. Thank you once again, and I hope you can write more about this !

Luis

5
0
()