I chose this book because it was a gift from my grandfather and he recommended it probably just because he was trying to clear out his office library. It ended up being an interesting read and a surprisingly captivating story. I recommend that people read this book if they want to hear about a lifestyle that is seldom recognized by popular culture. In an endeavor to expand scientific research on the weather in Antarctica, Admiral Richard Byrd undertakes the task of manning advanced base, a polar meteorological station, which he does alone, over the winter. He describes his account of the loneliness, biting cold, and odd lifestyle the polar winter brings him. The challenges that he faces take him within an inch of his life. This story is engaging and entertaining, sprinkled with bits of actual entries from the journal he kept during his time to advance base. As an explorer, he is a very learned man and his intelligence shows through his writing. A quote from the book describing the auroras reads. “And it was a fine thing too, to surrender to the illusion of intellectual disembodiment to feel the mind go voyaging through space as smoothly and feloticiously as it passes through the objects of its reflections. The body stood still, but the mind was free, it could travel the universe with the audacious mobility of a Welshan time space machine. As an explorer he talks about alarming things with a calm tone, which shows how accustomed he is to the dangerous lifestyle. Overall this book is a great adventure story told by a relatable but unconventional man.

0
()