Adderall is a combination of amphetamine and dextroamphetamine that is used to treat narcolepsy and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).

In recent years, the number of children in the U.S. being treated with prescription Adderall has increased drastically. With this recent inflation, it raises the question if Adderall is over prescribed.

Some may argue that in many cases ADHD is a mistaken diagnosis for children who are simply immature or undisciplined; on the contrary, others may argue that critics greatly exaggerate the number of incorrect diagnoses because awareness of the medication has grown significantly.

What is your opinion?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10000872396390444301704577631591596516110

https://www.drugs.com/adderall.html

Emily
January 4, 2017 2:55 am

Hi,

I personally am someone who has Attention Deficit Disorder. I have found that stimulants, such as adderall have helped me a lot. Before I got the prescription, I had to go through testing to confirm that I had ADD. I am pretty sure most doctors do not prescribe without the testing. I think the increase of prescriptions is due to the increased awareness of these disorders and the stimulants themselves.

Jessica
December 19, 2016 9:23 pm

This is a very interesting subject. There have been many cases of psychiatrists misdiagnosing their patient’s natural childhood energy for ADHD. Adderall is a real and strong drug. It can lead these children down the wrong path. The diagnostic process needs to be improved.

Talmadge
December 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Cy,
I am working on a research paper similar to this topic. It’s nice to see that there are others interested in this topic also. My opinion has been influenced and changed by my research. I do believe that it is over-prescribed in the United States, as we are the country with the most children who are diagnosed with ADHD. Do you believe that this is also a medication that is abused by today’s youth?

Mary
December 13, 2016 7:48 am

This is an interesting topic. I personally know multiple people that are prescribed adderall. In my experience, they actually have had bad cases of ADHD and the medication has helped them a lot. However, this is not always the case, and doctors are prescribing pills more often than they used to. It all boils down to the science behind it, which should probably be researched more before prescriptions increase.

Seiji
December 13, 2016 6:39 am

This is an interesting an idea about a topic that is sure to gain much attention in the upcoming year and yes sam is correct you are awesome

Samuel
December 13, 2016 5:35 am

You’re awesome,and totally smart, wish we had more people like you in this world.

6
0
()