Taylor Riddiford Mrs. Crescenzo British Literature 26 September 2021 Abraham Lincoln and King Arthur Abraham Lincoln was a republican man born on February 12, 1809 and became the United States’ 16th President in 1861 (The United States). He created the Emancipation Proclamation which declared forever freedom towards slaves within the Confederacy in 1863 (The United States). Lincoln’s goal in the American Civil War was to preserve the Union (Current). For the outset of the war, Lincoln would have done anything at any cost, including letting slavery to continue (Current). In the website it states that, “but abolishing slavery would become a nonnegotiable objective for him as the war progressed because of his own long-expressed abhorrence for the practice and because of the growing anti slavery sentiment among his fellow Northerners (Current).” His beliefs gave possibilities for a peace conference between the Union and the Confederacy in 1864. When winning the war, Lincoln achieved reunion and abolition (Current). Growing up, a boy so called “Wart” got lessons from Merlyn, his babysitter at the time, on how to become a fair ruler. Wart grows up and becomes “Arthur,” king of England and turns into someone people look up to. His ideas about government reshape English society. King Authur believes in justice, doing what is right, and making all people happy. King Arthur creates a system called The Round Table, which he created for the knights for fairness to the rights that no one believes that they are higher than another. However, his faith in good sometimes makes him blind to the intrigue around him. When Arthur was little he was always honest, trusting, and good hearted and he kept these characteristics being king. Benevolent optimism keeps Arthur from giving himself credit in certain situations and from doing what he should do just to make people happy. In Once and a Future King, Arthur shows selflessness and sacrifice when he gives Kay credit for taking out the Excalibur when he really was the one who did it. The Excalibur part of the story is about a sword that mysteriously appeared and is stuck through a heavy blacksmith’s block which is a big piece of metal. It is said that “Whoso Pulleth Out This Sword of this Stone and Anvil, is Rightwise King Born of All England” (White). King Arthur grows older and wiser, but is still not able to act harshly towards people he loves no matter how bad they can hurt him. The progress of King Arthur’s monarchy slows down and he becomes a defender of the status quo. There are definitely strong similarities and slight differences between Abraham Lincoln and King Arthur. They are similar because they both wanted equality for all people. No one is above or greater than anyone else, no matter the color of someone’s skin or the role someone has in life. Lincoln wanted equality and abolishment of slavery for all African Americans so he created the Emancipation Proclamation. Arthur believed in equality for all of his knights, people that worked for him, and all people he came across during his life so he created the system of The Round Table. Lincoln and Arthur wanted all people to be happy and especially happy with each other. They are similar yet differ because of the type of personalities they had. Lincoln was a natural gentleman which made his kindness and humanity innate. He never betrayed anything or anyone and was very compassionate. He had an ego but was not egotistical and had won many juries, colleagues, and judges. Arthur was a great man, he had always been good hearted, honest, and caring. As a ruler he believed in justice and doing what is right. Arthur is similar to Lincoln because of most of his personality traits, however, Arthur had another side to him that was different from Lincoln. Arthur’s goals were to make all people happy and not upset with him no matter what or the consequence. Arthur let this side of him get to the point where he became oblivious to bad situations and people trying to hurt him. Lincoln was never considered oblivious or let things get out of hand without doing something to stop or fix it. Work Cited Current, Richard. Encyclopædia Britannica, inc. (n.d.). Abraham Lincoln. Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved September 27, 2021, from https://www.britannica.com/biography/Abraham-Lincoln. The United States Government. (2021, January 15). Abraham Lincoln. The White House. Retrieved September 27, 2021, from https://www.whitehouse.gov/about-the-white-house/presidents/abraham-lincoln/. Maria Brennan’s review: Praise: 1st paragraph: Love the topic about feeling rushed and the way you explain it and how you are making the reader understand how difficult it is to make decisions being rushed. I like the way you are relating it to Arthur. 2nd paragraph: I like how you bring anxiety in the paragraph and give examples of what happens with anxiety 3rd paragraph: good definition about what anxiety is, mention the word rushed again to relate back to the first paragraph. Good job including an in text citation. Fixing: 1st paragraph: Change the first sentence, get rid of “I am going to be talking about”. Why did King Arthur feel rushed? Rushed about what decisions? Why did he feel like time was about to run out? (Add specific example). Explain why Arthur felt rushed, add a specific example and explain why, explain why he felt that time was going to run out. 2nd paragraph: explain why King Arthur is a prime example of what anxiety as a person would look like. 3rd paragraph: add more information about anxiety and King Arthur. Add another specific example for Arthur and explain how he could have reacted different with no stress and if you agree or disagree with what he did in the example/

0
()