April 24th, 2017

Chapter 5

Pg. 20: “The judge he felt kind of sore. He said he reckoned a body could reform the old man with a shotgun, maybe, but he didn’t know no other way.”

The book took place in the 19th century. Back then child abuse laws were few and rarely enforced. We see Huck’s father abuse him when he cuffed Huck and demanded his riches. With the lack of laws/enforcement Huck’s best hope to escape abuse is if his father changes, unfortunately this quote reveals that he is unlikely to change without the use of force.

Lauren
May 23, 2017 1:38 am

Hi Abinaov!
It is sad to think about the number of child abuse events that has taken place during this time period. Although society knew it was wrong, they just didn’t know what steps to take to prevent it from happening! Nice job!

Xochitl
May 4, 2017 10:21 am

Abinaov,
I also wrote about Huck’s father’s abuse in my dialectic journal because it is such a significant aspect of the novel. I think that adding historical context with child abuse laws during the time period in your dialectic journal was a really smart idea. It helps to clarify why no one has ever stopped Huck’s abuse like they would in modern times.

Thomas
May 3, 2017 12:13 am

Abinoav I totally agree. Using historical context, back in the early 19th century they really didn’t have any laws specifying with child abuse. I like how you used historical context to connect quotes from the book to specific conflicts and themes.

3
0
()