The Giver is by Lois Lowry, an American author who has written many books for children and young adults. She has written dystopias and other involuted themes that make you think about what could be. Lois Lowry has won many awards like the John Newbery Medal twice in 1990 and 1994. The Giver was written in 1993 and was inspired by Lois Lowry’s father. Her father’s memory loss is what made her think of a book about eliminating painful memories as he was forgetting his past. “And so I began to think about writing a book about people who had found a way to manipulate human memory, so they wouldn’t have to remember anything bad,” she explains.

The way it implements the subject of memories and choice is very interesting in this book and what makes it stand out. This book is very good at making the reader attentive and wanting to learn more about the dystopian world. It made me think about what could happen in our world or possibly the future. This book is a good read for teenagers because it’s in the view of a person who is realizing what the world really is and how it really works. As children, we have an innocent outlook on society but as time goes on we see the true nature of society and our system. We can relate to the book in how our morals are being grounded and we go through changes that create memories. 

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas who lives in a dystopian society where everything is the same and equal for everyone. Every person gets a job at the same age and there is a whole ceremony dedicated to it. This place gets rid of anything that would make people different. No color, animals, and everyone is treated the same. No differences mean no diversity or no celebration of our differences. They believe differences are what create war and problems. Losing their freedom is a price they have to pay to live in a safe world with no conflict. There are very few people in this place that know the truth of how they live. The Giver is one of them and has the ability to pass down memories to the next Giver which is Jonas. This is where Jonas became aware of the true nature of his society and it changes him. It makes you feel not have any clue of what could happen next or how it could happen in real life. It brings questions out of you that you maybe have never thought about.

The “perfect” world of The Giver has emotional suppression, no choice and, predetermined choices that make the reader think about how much freedom and choice we have in our society. The detail into how the system works and how it works for everyone is was makes the world feel real. When the lore of the book is in-depth, it creates arising questions about the world and its lore. The book talks about important subjects like memories and choice which are important in making it a coming of age book. Memories and choices are big aspects of our life that affect how we change and where we go. I feel as if I am with Jonas choosing and determining what is right and wrong. “The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.” (Page 133) This quote gives an important lesson about memories and how our own memories can hurt us but the pain of it is only worse when you are experienced it alone. We feel more supported when people know our experiences and what we go through so they can respond to us and provide comfort. Having others that share your memory or experience makes you feel together not alone with the issue. These are the types of things that make this book so compelling and good for young adults. It gives you a chance to think more about how you’re gonna grow and choose while you are going through that reality and fast changes constantly being thrown at you. The book opens your eyes to the important aspects of life that we should cherish and try to grow in. The book is easy to relate to and allows you to explore areas of growth that give you a chance to excel in discussion and moral issues. 

In conclusion, this book is a very good read for teenagers or young adults who go through similar changes and feelings as Jonas. This book will make you explore what you value and what is really perfect. It is a thought-provoking experience that makes you think about our freedoms, feelings, and what is right and wrong. After situations and the book ends, you still think about the character or what just happened. We have so much potential we could reach using our freedom and our diverse society is what makes us so special. You truly see a world without choice and difference and how dreadful things would be for everyone. This book is what initiated my interest in dystopia and society. I will always think about what is and isn’t possible because of this book. 

0
()