The goal of the project was to carry out a successful petition for The Related Companies to apply bird-repellent measures to Time Warner Center such as dotted windows, bird distress calls or repelling monitors in an attempt to halt bird collisions in the area. Our project was not successful.
Our blog failed to gain any significant traction on the internet. Our most popular post, Ononto’s video, had a measly 8 views which I believe are all attributed to his comedic thumbnail (I don’t know if anyone has actually viewed the video after clicking the post). While in total we got a decent at best number of weekly views, it was nothing special. The posts in which we invested the most time and effort barely got any views – although Ononto’s video was somewhat successful, me and Ashton’s 4-minute presentation failed to get any views at all and was removed from Reddit.
We didn’t get enough signatures or constructive comments on our petition. Although the petition had a great start, it slowed down, and we ended up accumulating a measly 39 signatures out of our goal of 100. Furthermore, none of our comments were helpful or gave us a good public image. All of our comments were jokes from r/BruhMoment users, such as “bruh” or “them birds be smocking that nut pack y’all’s” showing that a lot of our supporters didn’t take us seriously.
Our blog received very little views, our hardest work bore no fruit, our petition was treated as a joke and it failed to get over the halfway mark of signatures. All of these factors combine to paint the picture of a decrepit mission that had potential but eventually got nowhere. Although our project had a good head-start, it slowed down and lost all its momentum.
We should have focused more on Instagram outreach. Although I’m not familiar with it, Ononto is, and his TWC account actually got 170 followers. We just needed to find the way to connect it to our blog – although the posts were viewed and liked often, they didn’t take many people to the blog/petition. If we invested more time and effort in figuring that out, our project could have been more successful.