My name is Jennifer. Something important to know about me is that I care a lot for the people I’m close to, especially two people, my mom and my cat Snowball. Also, I’m genderfluid which means that my pronouns change daily and I don’t like being misgendered so please do not. It would be nice if people asked my pronouns instead of assuming, or if they feel uncomfortable asking they can just use they/them/it pronouns. I have serious anger issues so even the smallest things can make a huge impact on me  and then I can get physical. My parents are from Mexico (Puebla, Guerrero) and we have a lot of cultural celebrations such as El Cinco the mayo, El dia del Los Muertos, etc. I was born in the United States, New York city, and i used to live in Sunset Park but I moved so currently, I live in Bay Ridge.

Around 2020 I think it was in the early of that year I was telling my therapist that my father was being physically abusive towards me. I felt as if I finally had someone to trust but soon enough I found out I was wrong. After her speaking to my mom for weeks, problem after problem, telling her to tell my father to stop and looking for “solutions” that will  never work. She got tired of it and so she called ACS (children’s services) to come in. At that moment I lost all my trust as my dad came and got arrested. The cop had to grab me because I was crying and because I was about to walk out to stop them. It changed me a lot because after all everything started to get worse later on and my relationship with my dad just grew more to a dead end.

A strength of mine is that I know how to give advice/handle things. For example, when my friends have relationship problems, family problems, life issues, and friendship issues I always try to give the best advice and of course know about what happened, and they’re always so happy with my advice. My second strength is that I’m always willing to fight or put myself at risk for others’ sake but only for people I truly love a lot and to protect them. For example, I would give  my life for them to be safe. My last strength is that I’m a hard worker when it comes to having a lot of motivation or being able to help someone just to see a smile on their face. A work in progress is to stay more focused in school to not be left behind and to comprehend more stuff. My greatest achievement is that I faced my fears. And lastly, my goal is to handle my issues or pass grades with good grades.

Let me keep it simple:  I live with my mom and dad and my two siblings who are extremely annoying.  I have an older sister who’s 16 and she’s very girly and likes expensive shoes and stuff. I also have a younger brother who is extremely annoying, possibly the most annoying person I’ve ever met. I also have a cat who´s like my son/ my baby. His name is Snowball and he’s my child and I love him so much. The most precious people in my life are my cat and my mom mostly but I do care about my siblings. I lost my grandparents on my mother’s side, and on my dad’s side, I don’t know much. I’ve only got a chance to talk to my grandmother but that’s it. I’ve gained my cat who I treasure a lot and love with all my heart and I’m lucky to have him and my mom, basically, my whole family but they’re the top two.

Michael
September 23, 2022 1:22 pm

Dear Jennifer,
I am interested in your introduction because of how you talked about yourself and your mental health lot of people are not open there own health. 
One thing I learned from your writing that stood out for me is when you talked about your relationship with your father. I think this is sad because you had someone you used to care about and trust.
Your writing connects to my own experience. For me is when I give a friend advice that helps them with their relationship. I like helping people when they’re stuck on something and need help.
  Thanks for your work on Youth Voices. I look forward to seeing what you write next because of how you told your story.

2
0
()