boy in green sweater writing on white paper

Years after the Civil Rights Movement, there have been many strides to becoming an “anti-racist” America. One being, the Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education decision to rule segregated schools as unconstitutional. The United States has continued to fail in acknowledging the segregation found in public schools today. America’s public schools are increasingly segregated by race and socioeconomic status.

In the public school system, the color of one’s skin and their socioeconomic status seems to determine one’s educational success. Not only are schools segregated, but neighborhoods as well. Schools in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods are held to a different standard than those in predominantly white neighborhoods. Research also shows that schools serving predominantly students of color receive about $23 billion dollars in federal funding than those schools serving predominantly white students.

People have created a grassroots movement called Integrated Schools in hopes to integrate schools across the country. This program only provides a small solution, integrating schools. A movement like this doesn’t allow schools in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods to have proper funding from the federal government. Integrated schools are a step closer to an anti-racist America, but proper funding for public schools will further the movement.

I invite you to read and comment on this article with me on NowComment:
Anti-racist coalition:’ the movement to integrate public schools across the country

1. Miguel 2 weeks ago

that in united statesthe moviment it is diferent here and in united states because people are diferent and there are a lot of local people who abuse children

2. Kayla 2 weeks ago

Dear Estrella
    I thought your post was very interesting because it represents the progression that America has grown since years ago. Although we ended segregation in schools, you have made it evident that racism still exists in the US today. A sentence that stood out to me was “A movement like this doesn’t allow schools in predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods to have proper funding from the federal government. Integrated schools are a step closer to an anti-racist America, but proper funding for public schools will further the movement.” I thought this was important to add because it shows how far we had to come for equality to be presented to black people.

3. Aaliyah 3 weeks ago

Dear Estrella,

I am intrigued by your post, “A Movement to Integrate Schools Across the United States” because of the segregation we can see throughout communities currently. As a country that created laws and rules to make the country united and education systems integrated there is still some segregation. In the education system, segregation is done by the color of one’s skin and socioeconomic status which is supposed to be frowned upon, and that is demonstrated greatly in your text.

One sentence you wrote that stood out to me is, “People have created a grassroots movement called Integrated Schools in hopes to integrate schools across the country”. This movement shows how society is taking its part to make their own communities come together again, especially through children’s education.

Thank you for this writing. I look forward to what your next writing is because you bring up issues that need to be addressed more often. I would like you to continue writing about issues regarding segregation in education and communities.