It was a difficult moment when a school in Boston recruited me to play with them and study there. Since I was little, I had wanted to play baseball and basketball in the United States. I had never been so excited, but I had mixed feelings because it was such a big change. 

I was seventeen years old and I had been raised by my mother Belkis.  She was a tall, light-skinned woman with glasses.  She had a beautiful smile and worked as an accountant.  She was very excited for me because I had achieved my dream. 

March 4th at 11 in the morning was the last moment when I was with her. At the time, I didn’t pay much attention, I only thought about fulfilling my dream. My mother was crying, but nothing was happening in my mind. I couldn’t hug her or anything, I was just happy because I was leaving; later I would remember that moment and feel regretful, but there was no going back.

My mom said, “Good luck, Carlos. I love you very much.”

I told her, “I love you, Mom, I have to go.”

My mom said, ”I want you to be focused and not get carried away by bad things.”

I responded, “Yes, Mommy, I’ll be fine. I’m not a child, I promise.” 

Everything changed when I arrived at a boarding school in Boston.  There were many Dominicans and only one gringo. I only lasted a week. We didn’t eat well, the food and the weather was cold. We didn’t have many classes; in my opinion, we were only there because we were good at baseball. So I talked to my aunt in Brooklyn so I could move in with her and be with family. I wanted to be in a normal school and on a good team. I was only 17 years old, and I wanted to live with my family again.

They were gray days for me because sometimes I didn’t leave my room, crying. Everything was different from my culture: There came a time when I didn’t eat because the food was different. It tasted like a dumpster to me. I was very cold. After all, I missed my mother, and I wanted to be with her. I had left everything behind, my friends, my whole life to have a better one but I didn’t know what actually got better.

The language was all different, and no one spoke Spanish. Many white people did not understand me and I was strange for the first time in my life. The future is about profiting from money and work, but you have to leave many things behind like your family and friends.

Now after one and a half years, I’ve adjusted, but it is still difficult for me because I can’t be with my mother and my family.  My life has already improved because I can talk to people in English. I have many friends. I can see my mom when she comes to visit one day. I’m doing great in sports, thank God. High school helps me learn the language and I’m getting ahead. 

The thing is that as an immigrant, I have to work twice as hard as anyone else to achieve results because I need to learn the language and have skills in my class. I imagine that this will help me in college because everything that happened made me stronger.  I have learned that I have to work hard to achieve what I want. I need to dedicate more time to my studies than to sports because, in reality, it is hard to be in college, different from high school. It sets the stage for having a real responsibility, and my goal is to become the type of person and player who can play in the major leagues.  This is my dream.

December 11, 2023 8:09 pm

Dear, Carlos your post made me think a lot that to never let go of something you really love or something that means a lot to you. something i wonder is how your picture doesn’t go with what you’re saying but i do get what your story is and it seems very interesting.

1
0
()