turned-on desk lamp

“Mom I want to go to my room,
Instead of sitting out here.
Out here I can feel the gloom.
In my space, I feel the calm and hear nothing but a pin drop.”

“Alright Juan, you go be safe.
I will be out here where I have space.
I know your room helps you keep the faith,
The faith that the world is a happy place.”

I was inspired by “Ballad of Birmingham,” by Dudley Randall (1968).

1. Jaylene 7 seconds ago

Dear Juan,
    I am amazed by your poem, “A happy place” because it caught my eye and kept me interested. Even thought it was short it had a lot to tell.
    One line that stands out for me is, “Out here I can feel the gloom.”. I think this line is interesting because it shows how a place can change someone’s mood.
    Another line that stands out for me is, “I know your room helps you keep the faith,
    The faith that the world is a happy place”. I think this line stood how to me because it shows how much the world can affect someone and how a special place can make them feel better.
    Your poem helps me understand an event that I was once told. Many people find their room like a sanctuary and this poem helps explain why some people feel so safe there.
    Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next. I hope to see more of your poetry!

2. Alexis 3 weeks ago

Dear Juan
    I am interested in your poem, “A happy place,” because you literally described every teenager’s life of how they feel more safe in their room than anywhere else. We feel safe there because we can be yourself without being judged.
    One line that stands out for me is, “In my space, I feel the calm and hear nothing but a pin drop”. I think this line is powerful because it proves that it’s quiet and you feel like nothing can hurt you.
    Another set of lines that stands out for me is, “I know your room helps you keep the faith,The faith that the world is a happy place.I think these lines are impactful because many teens stay in there rooms just to get away from our problems and life.
    Thanks for your poem. I look forward to seeing what you make next.

3. Diana 3 weeks ago

Dear Juan,
    I really liked reading this, although short. Not sure if you made it yourself or were inspired by something else but I really liked it. It brought a lot of emotion to it. It made me think back to when I feel sad sometimes, and I only want to be in my room laying down, doing nothing. I understand the meaning behind it as well; that people would rather stay in a safe place that brings them comfort, than being outside in the real world where it doesn’t feel so safe.

4. Chi 3 weeks ago

This is a good read!