Youth Voices
Youth Voices
A Cup of Water Under My Bed
/

By: Daisy Hernández

I chose this book because I wanted to read something that I could relate to. Since I am part of the Hispanic community, this book hit close to home and made me realize how much we relate to one another. So far I am enjoying this book and I recommend it to everyone but I especially recommend it to people in the Latinx Community. This book starts off with Daisy explaining how life is at home and slowly introduces her family. She talks about romantic relationships she has been in and the advice her family has given her. Daisys writing style is informational and I enjoy how bold and open she is. This makes it feel as if you are having a conversation with her face to face. What really stood out to me was how she was open about her identity. She mentions how it is being a queer Hispanic and having to live up to the standards of her family wanting her to date a White man. Another topic that she brings up which I think is super important is the struggle of speaking Spanish. Being Hispanic American I understand and have seen the struggle of speaking Spanish when you live in a different country. Often our identity gets erased or we stop speaking Spanish since people around is don’t speak it as much. Like Daisy, I live in a family that always speaks Spanish at home and this has helped me love my language. I understand her struggle of being younger and not understanding the language and not having it perfected. Now that I am getting older I wanna be apart of my community and help younger Latinx kids understand their identity and culture. I am glad I picked up this book because it helped me realize so much.

0
()