Helen is a dynamic character in Laura Whitcomb’s novel A Certain Slant of Light. Her archetype changes over the course of her. At the beginning of the book, she is the archetypal reluctant hero. This can be seen on page 109, where the author writes “I sat next to her. James was watching us from his place behind the plant.”

But by page 135, Helen has begun to transform into the archetypal survivor. This is caused by the fact that Helen can’t seem suspicious in Jenny’s body because she can’t let anyone know that she isn’t Jenny.“To my surprise, a spontaneous lie rolled off my tongue”.  Evidence of this is on page 135 “To my surprise, a spontaneous lie rolled off my tongue.”

Helen is no longer the person who had to rely on James to know what she should do next..

A reader might recognize that the turning point for Helen comes when the English teacher was accused of having sexual contact with Helen. Page 229 encourages this belief “ My frustrations jumped my legs and made me stand. “Stop it” Mr. Flint Gasps” She had done something wrong and she came to her senses that she had to do something about it.

0
()