Childish Gambino’s This is America – Official Video, Lyrics, and Commentary

Author: Various Sources

00:52

profile_photo

Oct 17
kimani ingram : He’s about to kill the guy that is sitting in the chair with a sack over his head.

he is impersonating a Jim Crow poster that was created back when segregation in America was at it’s worse. I think that the person sitting in the chair with the sack over his face is supposed to be a slave because at first he was playing the guitar & looked happy but then out of nowhere he is wrapped in a sack and shot in the head. Honestly i feel like the guy with the sack on his head is supposed to symbolize how us blacks feel today with the racism, inequality etc. its like we are still enslaved and this shouldn’t be happening in 2018 Untied States of America.

profile_photo

Oct 17
Jada Holder : Childish Gambino shot the man playing the guitar in jim crow style.Jim crow was a theater character that was made to make fun of colored people.It was a shocker in the video. And Jim crow was the practice of segregating black people a in the U.S years ago [Edited]

profile_photo

Oct 21
oghenetega Eferere : I agree with you cause jim crow was a stage character

profile_photo

Oct 17
Jeheim Philbert : He did the stance from jim crow a white man who painted his skin black and acted like black people doing stupid stuff.

profile_photo

Oct 22
Elijah Woods : Thank you, the Jim Crow meaning makes sense now.

profile_photo

Oct 18
Carl Deguerre : He posed and shot him in the head

profile_photo

Oct 18
oghenetega Eferere : He poses as Jim Crow, a stage character.

Jim Crow was just a stage name. In this video, he uses the Jim crow pose to depict the system of racial Apartheid that dominated the American South for three quarters of a century beginning in the 1890s. Jim Crow refers to the repressive laws and customs once used to restrict the rights of people of color.

profile_photo

Oct 22
Carl Deguerre : I agree with you because he does the jim crow pose

profile_photo

Oct 21
mckenzie octave : shoots the man

this is in a very important move, this is the jim crow postion, jim crow is a theater character to mock blacks

00:53

profile_photo

Oct 17
Iyana Brown : This is my first time watching this video but when i saw Gambino doing that pose i automatically thought of the Jim Crow Law. That pose represented what many slaves well African Americans and people of color went through back in the 1870’s.

Then when i saw him shoot the man with a bag over his head it came to my head that this is what America is really like today.

00:55

profile_photo

Oct 17
Iyana Brown : this video is representing everything that happened or that is happening in America.

When he wiped of the gun i thought about the things that happened because that’s how many people don’t get caught because they think that they’re smart but everything soon comes to an end .

00:57

profile_photo

Oct 17
Jada Holder : The gun I carried away so carefully while the dead body is being dragged off. It shows that we have more respect for guns than we have for human beings.

profile_photo

Oct 19
Nathaniel Bacchus : I agree with you, I noticed the same thing

01:10

profile_photo

Oct 17
Md Rafiquzzaman : All the students are wearing the same uniform.

This shows that non-whites think that black people are uneducated because all the student in this part of the video are wearing the same clothes

profile_photo

Oct 23
Carl Deguerre : i agree that was true

CC BY-SA 4.0 Mandela youth on “This is America” an excerpt by Paul is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.