Protester holds sign to show the power Floyd's impact has made.

In the article, “George Floyd’s Death Sparks Massive Nationwide Protests” by Patricia Smith, I learned that the upsetting of George Floyd’s death, regardless of the upsetting actions, was also due to the previous deaths of Ahmaud Arbery and Breonna Taylor.  The reason these deaths have been so tragic and upsetting is due to the circumstances as Arbery was jogging when he got shot and Taylor was sitting in her home when she got shot as well.  George Floyds’ death was heartbreaking as it was caught on camera and he repeatedly tells the officer that he can’t breathe multiple times.  Also, according the fact that the reason the police officers were arresting him was because he was accused of using a counterfeit $20 to buy a pack of cigarettes at a convenience store. 

I think this event is a great turning point in Black Lives Matter and U.S. history.  Many people over the world, especially in the U.S. used their voices to bring awareness of the tragedies that are occurring and how it must be stopped. These tragedies are saddening, especially that they’ve been happening countless times and hasn’t been stopped.  I am glad that people are using their voices to fight for any injustices.  

How do you think people can gain justice?

1. Viviana Flores 5 days ago

I think the protest people are trying to change history and how African-American people are getting treated now. I believe if people come together and keep using their voices then change could happen. In the picture, what caught my eye was the different races protesting. I think it’s even better because more people are helping out and showing that they care about multiple race/races.