red and white UNKs restaurant

With the start of a virtual school year, seniors like myself all have the same question: Will we be able to experience a normal senior year?

We have spent more than half of our lives in school working for the moment where we get handed our high school diplomas at our graduation, hearing our parents cheering us on from the stand, with some of us being first-time graduates in our families.

However, we are in a pandemic and there is a strong possibility that we won’t get to experience that. Besides, graduating with the people we had all grown up with we won’t be able to go to Disneyland with our class for grad night. For some of us, we have never even been to Disneyland and that would be our first time going. 

Then there is senior sunrise and senior sunset, a tradition that our school does for the seniors. We won’t get to do that with our classmates because of this virus. Prom is another thing we won’t be able to do and everyone has to attend a prom before they graduate high school. That’s the one night where we could dance the night away with our friends and just have fun before real life hits and we have to start getting ready for college. The list goes on and on with everything that we won’t expensive our senior year due to the pandemic.

1. Zhelanea 57 mins ago

I agree with your post that the pandemic has caused a lot of changes for highschool seniors. We are still not sure what will happen as the year goes by, so that leaves us with many questions. These questions, however, I think will be answered with time. We just have to wait and see what happens. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the current events that are taking place.

2. Yaslin 3 days ago

Dear Hayley:
    I totally agree with your statement, I almost have no hope that we will get to experience a fun and fulfilling senior year. It’s been half a year since we’ve been in this pandemic, and doing school from home isn’t easy. It’s stressful and causes me to feel unmotivated to do my work.

A sentence that stood out to me was “We have spent more than half of our lives in school working for the moment where we get handed our high school diplomas at our graduation, hearing our parents cheering us on from the stand, with some of us being first-time graduates in our families” because we’ve waiting so long for this year just for it to go down the drain.

Thank you for your writing, I enjoyed reading about this since I can relate.

Yaslin Loera